Monday, February 11, 2019

My How Times Change!

I was looking through pictures the other day and came across some scans of photos taken in 1957, when Mother, Cheryl, and I spent some time in Massachusetts with her sister and family.  The photo at the start of the blog was taken on the day we were leaving to get on a train to head back to Arizona. Can you imagine dressing like this in this day and age?  Note that Cheryl even has on little white gloves!  At the end of the blog is a photo of my Uncle Don, Aunt Lois, Grandpa, and me at the train station. They dressed to the nines to see us off too!  Cheryl is two and I'm nine.  We didn't get to travel the way folk do today and we didn't make the trip from AZ to MA very often.  When we did go we stayed for quite a few weeks...probably close to a month.  Since we stayed so long Daddy didn't go with us, but stayed at home and held the fort down...as I'm sure he would have said!  We spent time at the beach in New Hampshire for several days and also spent time visiting with Mother's aunts and uncles while we were there.  I remember the first time I tasted blueberry pie was on one of these trips. They had a front screened in piazza where I loved to sit and read...especially on rainy days.  They had a cellar...I can still remember that peculiar musty smell.  They also had stairs on the second floor that led up to an attic that you could stand up in.  And, there were toys and games that Mother and Aunt Lois played with as children...there was even a set of blocks that had been Grandpa's when he was a little boy,  I have that set of blocks and some of the card games and books that were stored in the attic in our home now. We had fun times when we got that special time to visit.

Today has been a busy day for the comings and goings of health folk for Woody.  First his PT guy came.  Then not long after his nurse came for a blood draw and to change the dressing on his picc line site.  He also had an antibiotic infusion today.  That only takes five minutes now.  And, I think that he will have less than a week of those infusions now.  I think that the last one will be on Sunday.  And, I think that he will get his picc line out on Tuesday when he goes back to Vanderbilt to see both Dr. Holt and the infectious disease doctor.  Things are winding down.

This afternoon I made chicken stock and also some cabbage soup.  This evening Woody went to the Monday night Furnace Room prayer meeting.  We are both home now and settling in for the evening. Hope you enjoy my little bit of nostalgia in this blog.  Fond memories of days gone by...very different than today...I am glad that I have enjoyed both "Leave It To Beaver" times and modern times!

No comments:

Post a Comment