Tuesday, April 28, 2020

A Little Bird Watching

Woody spent a lot of time outside today...both weeding and bird watching.  I decided that it was a good day to fill bird feeders.  This is the new bird house that the neighbors (Nathan, Kathy and family) gave me for my birthday.  Tonight's barn photo!  I was trying to get a picture of the two sweet little birds that are making a nest in this bird house.  Woody told me the best to get a photo was to sit in the car in the driveway. He knew it was a good place as when he gets cold he goes and sits in the car and reads or I guess some times watches the birds!  So I went to sit in the car...with the door open.  Not long after I sat down this goldfinch landed on the house.  The new renters in this house were not happy...they usually have a very sweet song, but that song got a bit screechy as they got this bird to leave.  I know why the finch stopped at this place.  This bird hangs on the shepherd's hook that last year held the goldfinch feeder...that is until the squirrels destroyed it.  So this little guy very innocently stopped by hoping for some food and got screeched at!  I was just glad that I was able to get his picture before he flew away. He almost flew right into the car with me!  So glad that he corrected his flight pattern and went over the car rather than in it!

I believe that the little birds that are making a home in this birdhouse are some kind of little wren.  I'm going tonstudynthe pictures that I managed to get of them today and see what kind they are.  We also saw cardinals, a cat bird, mocking bird, robins, and our bird blue mother and father.  It was a good day for bird watching...oh, and I saw a hummingbird come to our feeder also.  When I was coming downstairs this afternoon, I heard voices on the front porch and there were more bird watchers sitting on the porch...Nathan, Kathy, Esther, Elijah, Esther, Isaac, and Joseph.  They reported that they had seen the little birds living in the barn birdhouse and the hummingbird and others.  It was a very nice day for porch sitting.  I need to go out and do a little porch cleaning.  The cats have taken over the cushions and I need to clean them off.  Plus I need to discourage some spiders from making homes on the porch!

The neighbors are busy planting the vegetable gardens both in their yard and ours.  The children are really enjoying digging around in the dirt.  Today they had a surprise to show me when I wandered over to check on their progress...a BIG toad.  He might star in a blog photo another evening!

It's beautiful out...but I have to be very careful or the pollen will get to me.  I have been having some allergy problems, but not as severe as they used to be prior to me taking allergy meds year round.

Last night after I blogged I got to looking through my book list and realized that  some books/authors were missing so went back and checked my lists that I compiled the final list from and found out that I had missed the back of one sheet of paper that was filled with books I had read so I had to go back and revise the list...already!  I will have to update what I sent to the laptop...but that can wait a bit.

Tonight I made a new zucchini/yellow squash concoction...I used a recipe that I found on the Internet, but added so many changes to meet Woody,s diet and our tastes that it ended up being pretty much "my recipe."  Just as I was taking it out of the oven, Nathan showed up with a pork steak.  They had grilled out and had one to spare.  Woody and I each had part of it and will have it again tomorrow.  I had smelled that someone in the neighborhood was cooking out and that it smelled soooooo good.  I never dreamed that I would get to share in the goodness!  Good cooks, neighbors!

Tonight's borrowed Coronavirus thought brings a smile as Melany has sort of done this with us!

"The world has flipped upside down.  Old folks sneaking out of the house and their kids are yelling at them to stay indoors!" (Unknown)

Stay safe!
Stay well!
Stay home!


No comments:

Post a Comment