Thursday, April 30, 2020

An Adventure with a Serendipitous Ending




This morning we took off for an adventure to Alabama.  We left before 7:30 as we wanted to get to a favorite nursery of ours soon after it opened.  Woody had checked and it was open and they were only letting a certain amount of people at a time.  It consists of LOTS of green houses and a multitude of paths running throughout it.  We wanted some more herbs and a couple of veggies and some flowers and Nathan and Kathy needed some veggies.  We accomplished finding most of what we were looking for.  We wore masks and most of those that we saw were also wearing masks.  It was very easy to keep the 6 feet of distance between patrons.  It was a lot like walking in a park.  

On the way home was where serendipity entered our adventure.  Woody saw a sign for fresh strawberries and decided to follow the signs.  We ended up at a strawberry farm where you could either pick them or buy a bucket...or two...of already picked ones...a bucket for us and a bucket for Nathan, Kathy and family.  They were pretty happy to see me arrive at their door with the berries!



After lunch and our preacher's Thursday noon Bible study, I met Nathan and Kathy and a couple of grandchildren on our back patio and divvied up the plants.  I planted a couple and later in the aftfnoon, Woody did a little planting, but decided to leave most of it for tomorrow when the temperatures are supposed to rise out of the 60s...perhaps even getting to the 80s.

After my part in the planting, I came in to make the cake to go with the strawberries.  Woody hulled them all and we both used the masher on them and I added the sugar.  So for dessert we had strawberry shortcake the way Woody likes it...yellow cake and strawberries.  I will say it isn't quite the way he likes it as he would also have liked to have vanilla ice cream on it.  But he will do without that since milk products are a "no-no" on his kidney diet...too high in protein.  I also made our Cantonese Spareribs recipe for supper.  I am about done in...been a very active day!  And, my back is rebelling at the moment.  I think that if I sit for a few minutes, I will be able to tackle the rest of the kitchen mess!  I filled the dishwasher and it is running as I blog and rest...then I can go down and see what else has to be done.  Part of what is left can go in the dishwasher after I empty it, but ther are quite a few dishes that can't be washed in the dishwasher...and the stove top is a mess...but all that...a little later!

We have good news!  Peaches (one of Esther's sister cats) has returned after being missing in action for 4 days.  At first her sister wasn't happy to see her...a lot of hissing...but here they are this afternoon on our front porch!

Best buddies!  Peaches is the one asleep.  Georgia is keeping an eye on what's going on!


Tonight's borrowed Coronavirus thought:

"Don't count the days.  Make the days count!" (Unknown)

Stay safe!
Stay well!
Stay home...or when out and about be cations!





No comments:

Post a Comment