Saturday, September 18, 2021

Sometimes It's The Little Things…

Sometimes it is the little things that matter/make a difference/bring happiness! This morning I needed to run a couple of errands...one was to the pharmacy to pick up a prescription for Woody and also get a few supplies that we needed for his dialysis care. Since starting back up on dialysis, we haven't had the "back-up" supplies that we usually have...some of the extras were used while he was off the home dialysis and when we ordered neither I nor the person I was ordering from took that into consideration and we are running very short on some things and on others we are totally out and I have had to scrounge around town and try to find what we need. One item I mentioned the night before...gloves...which I bought at WalMart the other day, but realized after getting home that I hadn't bought enough to get us through till the supply truck comes this next week. I wasn't crazy about the gloves I got at WalMart so decided to try the ones at the pharmacy...not too crazy about these I bought today either, but they will have to do for the next few days. I also needed bandaids because Woody was needing a small one and all of our bandaids didn't have any choices as to sizes any more. For bandaids I have to be careful and get latex free as Woody is allergic to latex...hopefully the ones I got will work. One of the bandaids in the new box was to be used to cover his wound from yesterday's procedure of removing the hemodialysis tubing from his jugular vein. I am a bit squeamish when it comes to such things, but between the two of us we managed to get that task done...not without my sinking to my toes a few times as I thought about prior to doing it...it was not bad, but I just don't like taking bandages off when I don't know what I am facing! As I have said many times before...I am not a nurse...just a person "forced" into doing certain nurse-like things...sometimes not all that willingly! Now back to my errands after my pharmacy stop, I headed off to the Credit Union and then a quick stop at JoAnns. I don't think that I have been into JoAnns since the start of the Pandamic...maybe one time before today...I'm not for sure. Today I had an item in mind...didn't find exactly what I was looking for but did find a good substitute...at least I am pretty sure it will work for what I want to use it for. I also needed a piece of faux suede to try out a machine-embroidery design that I purchased recently...a design for Fall. About the time I had those two items cut and scanned for a price, the ceiling fell out of the clouds and the rain came pouring down...heard very well due to a metal roof! JoAnns isn't a bad place to be stuck waiting for the rain to let up! I got to look around a bit more. I was so happy to find the "little things" pictured above. I had been wanting some sewing charms to add to several items that I have in the works and will be glad to have some of these sewing charms on hand when other projects come up. The little heart buttons I was in need of...one red tiny heart button for a cross stitch ornament that I am planning for our grandson and his new bride...so was very happy to come upon this package of very tiny heart buttons...I believe that they are the perfect size. I finally decided that the rain was letting up so I made my way to the check-out counter and by the time I was heading out the door it was only raining lightly. It was lunch time by the time I got home so fixed our lunches and then I headed upstairs to unpack my JoAnn purchases. I had planned to do some stitching on what I am making for my sister, Cheryl...but my eyes closed...guess the shopping wore me out! I had a nice nap on a rainy afternoon. Later in the afternoon, I headed downstairs to make another mess in the kitchen. This time I decided that it was "just about" soup weather...temperatures are supposed to be going downward over the next few days. Plus yesterday when I mentioned making this soup, Woody showed a bit more interest than he usually does these days. He did have a small bowl for supper tonight instead of his usual protein shake...not sure that the soup was high enough in protein to substitute for the shake...but at least he ate something different for a change! Woody did his usual crossword puzzles. He also had me bring him my iPad and he "surfed" around on the internet...checking emails, baseball sites, etc. while I was running errands. He rarely spends any time on the computer these days as he has stopped coming upstairs. Before I come down each morning, I run off his two crossword puzzles (USA Today and LA Times) and take then down to him. He usually starts them right away...while I am disconnecting him from his dialysis treatment and continues to work on them while he eats his breakfast. Today he has also spent time watching several football games on TV and now is watching a baseball game. Before I came upstairs tonight, I finished cleaning up the mess in the kitchen, started the dishwasher, and got everything set up for tonight's dialysis. The set up gets the dialysis solution warming...so I need to wait at least a half-hour before getting the night's dialysis up and running. We have been trying to start around 8:30 each evening...give or take a few minutes...trying to establish a routine...best to do it at approximately the same time each evening. That said...it is about time for me to head down and get the dialysis going for tonight. I plan to continue on my cross stitch project when I come back upstairs...hopefully I can stay awake to get more done since I had such a good nap this afternoon! Be safe! Be well! Be cautious!

No comments:

Post a Comment