Tuesday, June 27, 2023

Not a Part of Tuesday’s Plans

Little did we know when we went to bed last night that Woody would end up in the hospital today! Never a dull moment! This morning when I came downstairs, he was sitting at the end of the couch all bent over and in quite a bit of pain...complained of his back, leg, and arm. And, he just couldn't get up enough energy to change positions. I would get him sitting up better and soon he would be all slumped over back in the uncomfortable position. He ate a little breakfast and soon thereafter he got sick...so we had a big mess along with trying to get him dressed to go to dialysis...had to start over again with getting dressed! I kept trying to get him to sit up and maneuver into the wheelchair and it just didn't happen. At a point, I called the dialysis center and told him that we were still trying to get from the house to the car. They said to take it slowly. Well, slow we took it and we never got him into the wheelchair. It got to the point that I knew that if I got him into the wheelchair in the house, that he would have major trouble transferring into the car. I talked to the dialysis nurse again and she suggested that we call 911, but gave me a number that wasn't for emergency. The ambulance still came with siren blaring! They loaded him off to the hospital with me following a short time later. They still don't know a lot...just that his white count is slightly elevated. This came on quickly since he was fine as far as we knew last night. They have decided to give him two broad spectrum antibiotics since they don't know the exact cause. But feel like it is something in his system since he is hurting in so many places. We have seen three familiar faces since we have been here. One of his care team is Woody's nurse who trained us to do home peritoneal dialysis. It was good to catch up with him. Then Dr. O, Woody's nephrologist came in to see what was going on with Woody and to get him set up for dialysis. Soon after Dr. O left, transport came to take Woody downstairs for dialysis. I went home for the hours of dialysis so I could get a few things done...like wash all the towels, quilt, pillows, pillowcases, and clothes that got messed up with Woody got sick this morning. Fun job...but someone has to do it! I stayed home the full time of dialysis and then came back to the hospital. Got there at a good time. The hospitalist was in talking to Woody and he is the third on Woody's medical team that we have known for years. I taught his two daughters at Montessori many years back. They are now mommies and have children at Montessori. We have now had a shift change with the nurses. I think I am going home...not sure that Woody wants me to, but I think that it would be best for me to get a good night's sleep. Guessing that he may be here for a couple more days...time will tell. He is definitely better than he was when we came in, but still not just right. He keeps asking if we are at the hospital...hoping and praying that he doesn't get more confused from being here! To be continued! Be safe! Be well! Be cautious!

No comments:

Post a Comment