Friday, October 15, 2010

To The Rescue!

This morning shortly after I got up, I went downstairs to fix Woody and me some scrambled eggs...he wanted something soft! About the time that I poured the eggs into the pan, the phone rang and it was Nathan. They were "stranded" about 12 miles down the road! Nathan had changed the oil in their motor home and he had put too much in and the light had come on...and in this vehicle that means "stop" do not proceed! They were on the access road to AEDC (where Woody used to work) and had pulled into one of the parking areas outside one of the gates into the Air Force Base. He asked Woody to go get some tools and the oil pan from their house and then bring them to them. So we found (thank goodness for cell phones and being able to communicate while we looked!) what was needed and headed out to rescue them! The children were in the vehicle watching a DVD (well, Elijah was asleep!) while Mom and Dad attended to getting their vehicle road ready once again! Woody supervised and I went in to see the children. This was a chilly morning and the children were a bit cool in the vehicle without any heat. A couple of them were sharing a quilt that Woody's mother had made many years ago. It is one that she made out of polyester so not as warm as a cotton quilt. I mentioned to Abigail and Esther that they might want to fold it in half and use it double to make it a bit warmer as it wasn't the warmest of quilts since it was made out of polyester...well, Esther caught what I had said...and she said "poly--ester...my name is Esther!" I did explain that it was a kind of cloth...but it was so cute for her to pick up on the sound-alike for her name...never occurred to me! New nickname? Abigail couldn't quite figure out how we showed up after they had started on their trip! She wanted to know if we had traveled a long way...and I told her it wasn't far...she asked if it had been one mile and I told her that it had been about 12 miles. I guess once they start on a trip they are far removed from us whether they are a mile or 100's of miles!

Shortly Nathan got their problem solved by draining a bit of oil out...and they were on their way again. He kept the tools that he might need if the problem reoccurred and we took the oil pan back to their house. We decided that we would go and early vote as election day may conflict with travels to NIH. Before we got out the door the phone rang...I almost didn't answer it, but decided that it might be Nathan so did. It was one of the research nurses from Vanderbilt calling to check on how Woody is doing. We chatted for a few minutes and I filled her in on the latest from his NIH study and told him about his fall yesterday. Then we headed off to vote and then went by the church for me to pick up a book at the library that I needed to help me prepare the Sunday School lesson on Sunday. Then we returned home. I then got our grocery list ready. Woody planned to stay in and rest today and he had already been out more than he had planned! So I headed out to run errands...went to the quilt store for thread to quilt Joy's quilt with, went to my sewing machine dealer to get needles to quilt Joy's quilt with, then to the Credit Union, and then on to Kroger. By the time that I got home and got the groceries put away I was tired...and took too long of a nap.

The next problem of the day came with technical difficulties in getting my pictures from my camera to the computer. My camera's battery ran out while downloading them...and after changing it "things" no longer recognized "each other!" Grrrrrrrrrrr........technology!! Love it when it works...but when it doesn't...(took more than an hour to figure out how to move the pictures...but I just felt like this post needed the picture...so I was determined...and I won!)

Woody is doing pretty well after his fall. His mouth is very sore. His nose looks pretty bad. (I don't see how he wears his glasses...thank goodness he doesn't need to wear them all the time!) After folks saw the pictures on the blog last night...he was likened to a hockey player...so he is considering telling people "that hockey season has started"...or he might just tell them that he is "working on his Halloween mask!"

Well, I still haven't gotten started on the quilting on Joy's quilt...but have thread and needles now...so steps closer to the actual quilting!

No comments:

Post a Comment