Thursday, July 28, 2011

Happy Anniversary!

Happy Anniversary to Woody's TIL (Tumor Infiltrating Lymphocytes) cells! On this day a year ago, he received his own God given cells back after they had grown to 48.6 billion!!!!!! I have included a link to last year's blog post for July 28th for those who haven't been following us through Woody's fight through thick and thin! That will be tonight's blog picture!

http://wdorrell.blogspot.com/2010/07/486-billion-cells.html

My praise is that these cells are still floating around in his body keeping more melanoma cancer cells from starting up and growing (have to this point) and are helping his tumors that remain to shrink!

Today has been a busy day for both of us. Woody got up and walked his 4-mile route. But this morning I beat him by quite a bit...I woke up after I had slept for several hours and I guess my body said that I had had a long enough nap...because I couldn't go back to sleep. I got up and started in on the cleaning that I had promised myself that I would do once Abigail's dress was completed. So I attacked our school room/office. I know that Kathy will be starting up with school in a week or so and I wanted the school room to be all nice and clean for whatever little student might come my way. It made me feel like I was back in my teaching days at the Montessori school here in town. Just prior to the start of school we teachers would meet and dust and straighten all the equipment...and that is exactly what I did today. When Nathan and Kathy decided to buy the house next door to us, I decided that I wanted to expose the children to Montessori principles. So we purchased quite a few pieces of Montessori equipment. And, today I took it all off the table and took things out of their boxes and dusted boxes inside and out and then put everything neatly back in their boxes and then back on the table. Everything now once again is back in its proper place. Last night I asked Woody if he would take the sheets off our bed (when we were both up...knowing him he might have rolled me up in the sheets if I was still in bed if I hadn't made the statement that we both be up...perhaps that is why I woke up so early!!!!). So he did his job and got them washing and then went on his walk. Besides cleaning in the school room I also have been cleaning in our room. So the vacuum and the Swiffer dusters have been very busy today! Things are looking better around here. When in the office, I also decided that it was time to file, either in the file cabinet or file 13, the papers that had accumulated over the years from all Woody's doctor's/hospital visits...so I spent a lot of time remembering all that Woody has gone through in what is almost three years from his broken arm (Sept 08) to Vanderbilt and now NIH. He has really fought a hard fight to overcome his melanoma...and to date it looks like it has been worth the fight. Praise the Lord!!!!

Woody made Crazy Dill Pickles and Sweet Pickle Relish today. We have plans to use quite a bit of pickle relish in some salads that we plan to make so he was trying to anticipate our need! Cucumbers continue to show up on our kitchen counter...definitely a good year for cucumbers at least in Nathan and Kathy's garden. The tomatoes are also coming in and they are sooooo good...so solid...nothing better than a tomato fresh off the vine! I had a phone call a little while ago and when I got off the phone, I had lost Woody...the downstairs had all the lights shut off and he wasn't anywhere to be found...that is till I heard the drone of the lawnmower...guess he is mowing another section tonight now that the sun isn't beating down on him...still pretty warm out there...but it didn't get to 100 today which is good...just 97! And, presently it is 90. Woody helped me with a church library task this afternoon. He reviewed some VHS tapes to decide if they were still in good shape or if they needed to be deleted from the library. He completed that task and has either thrown away the tapes or put them back in a bag to go back to the church library. So we have both kept pretty busy today...this day is a bit different than this day a year ago when we were in Bethesda...Woody in the hospital for 3+weeks and me staying at the Family Lodge. Glad that we are home and that it is the year anniversary of Woody getting his TIL cells.

No comments:

Post a Comment