Monday, September 24, 2012

Fall Baking Day

Can you smell it???!!!!  I got up and started in on the long process of making rye bread...a first for me.  I made two loaves and the one that we have cut into is pretty yummy.  We each had a slice while it was still warm and then we had Reuben Sandwiches for supper...very good!  This is the first time that I have made bread from a starter or as this one called it a "sponge."  And, it did look like a sponge by this morning (I started it on Saturday and you are to use it by the third day).  I hadn't planned to have school this morning since the children weren't supposed to be back till sometime today from their weekend gig in VA.  They ended up coming in last night, but I still didn't have school since I had the bread baking planned.  Elijah came over and I did work on sounds with him and then he played.  The rest just filtered in and out over the span of the day...playing.  The big news of the day is that Elijah can now open our front door by himself.  He is so excited...but...this caused concern this afternoon when Goosey didn't know that Elijah had left and then he came up missing without Goosey knowing that he had gone out the door by himself!  We will have to make some new rules for our boy who is "getting bigger like a dad" every day!

Woody didn't walk early this morning since it was so chilly out (low 40's).  So he walked later in the day...a nice feature of the Fall and being retired...walk whenever it suites you!  Woody also made Italian Cauliflower...so many good smells emanating from our kitchen! After the bread was out of the oven...early afternoon...Woody caught up with Graham and gave him and Grammy the job of planting some pansies that Woody bought for me over the weekend.  So Graham and I went out to the front gardens and planted nine pansy plants...me pointing out where to plant them and Graham digging the holes, sprinkling in plant food, putting in the new little plants, pushing the dirt back around them and then watering them well.  It was a nice time spent with Graham, except that I had been on my feet too long with the bread baking, etc. that my back was really hurting and I was really ready to head to my recliner upstairs.  I did that and, of course, fell asleep...instead of reading.  Woody has come behind me cleaning up the mess in the kitchen.  The last time I went through the dish drainer was piled pretty high!  And, now it is time for me to go down and relax in front of the TV...Dancing With the Stars is back once again!

2 comments:

  1. Yes, I can smell it! lol Waiting for the weather to cool a bit more so I can do bread again. How did you use your sponge? Did you use rye flour in it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Shirley, the only rye flour that is used in the recipe was in the sponge. It had rye flour, warm water, caraway seeds and a pkg. of yeast. That was to sit in a warm place on your counter for 1-3 days. Then on the day of baking you first sprinkled yeast on top of the sponge and then more warm water and you stirred that in well. Then added rest of the ingredients. Then kneaded, back in bowl for first rising, then punch down, short time of rising, then shaped and placed on baking sheets, another rising, then slashed tops with sharp knife, brushed with egg and milk wash and sprinkled with caraway seeds and popped into the oven.

    ReplyDelete