Saturday, September 22, 2012

It's Fall, Ya'll!

The changing of God's seasons is upon us.  It is so good to feel the changes in the air and start to see the changes in the foliage...just tinges at this point...but a preview of what is to come.  I love Fall colors...changing of the leaves and the beautiful blue that the sky can be at this time of the year.

Woody got up and went on a seven mile walk.  Later he walked to the library (and back!).  He also did some errands in between walks.  I got up and started out in the kitchen and pretty much stayed there all morning and part of the afternoon. I started out making a sponge (starter) for making rye bread this coming week (planning on Monday).  This is a first for me to start bread out this way...hope that the final results are good! The sponge is sitting in a bowl on the counter all tightly covered with plastic wrap. After getting that ready, I got started making one of our favorites...Bragg's Barbecue (pulled pork).  This is one of those recipes that takes a lot of time...first it takes a lot of time getting the meat cut off the bone and into chunks.  Then it takes a long time to simmer and lots of time checking and skimming fat off.  But the end results are fantastic...and well worth the work.  I decided to do something that I had never done before...I made pork broth out of the pork bone.  I really hadn't heard of pork broth so I looked it up on the internet and found out that it is done...just not done a lot in the U.S.  So I decided to give it a try.  I added water, veggies and quite a few herbs from our garden and then let all simmer for a long time. I will freeze the broth and I'm sure that it will come in handy for some of the soups in our future (once it gets just a little cooler).

Part of the time that I was cooking I listened to some more of Vanity Fair...part of it I really enjoyed and then all of a sudden I had no idea, once again, as to what was going on...wonder if my mind wandered or...?
Woody has watched a library DVD or two.  Part of the time that things were simmering, I made a quick run through with the vacuum downstairs and did a little dusting.  I also vacuumed crumbs out of our silverware drawer...always wonder just exactly how those crumbs get in there since that drawer isn't left open!  I planned to make a quick run through upstairs with the vacuum, too, but just didn't have enough steam left to do that task...it can wait for another day!  I came upstairs after partaking of a barbecue sandwich and flopped in the recliner in our bedroom...planning to read some more about Dolley Madison...but my eyes shut pretty quickly and I napped instead.  After that brief nap, I did pick Dolley up again and read for a while.  I'm getting close to being finished with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment