Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Fall Greetings From Our House to Yours

It has been a beautiful fall day here in southern Middle Tennessee. When Woody walked by the sign on the bank down the hill from us the temperature 45 degrees. We haven't seen temperatures that cool in quite a while. Woody included the prayer room on his walk today as he didn't go last night because of the meeting at church. He walked a total of six miles. Later in the morning he went to the local farmers' market and Kroger for our Wednesday groceries. He got some really good apples at the farmers' market along with zucchini and some interesting tomatoes...a strange color...purple was in their name. But I was glad that I knew that they were supposed to be that color as they looked like they might be bad when looking form the outside...and even on the inside a little...but they tasted good. We had salads with lots of fresh goodies for lunch. I used my new spiralizer for some of the veggies in our salad. After lunch, I headed to the library. Donna and I were glad to find the three computers talking to each other once again...it took two tries by the tech person, but the second time he got them working. Donna, Fran and I got quite a bit done once again...well, I ended up not getting a lot done for our library as we had a lady come in who was taking over the library position in her church and needed some advice. It was suggested that she come to our church and talk to us. We do probably have the largest church library in the area outside of Nashville and Chattanooga. When Donna was entering books today she said that she was about to enter the 8,000th accessioned book...what that means that our books are numbered (as they are in most libraries) when they are entered in the computer (or back in the old days when we were just entering the info on the card catalog cards)every book is given a number and that number isn't to be used again...even if the book is weeded out. When you delete a book, its accession number is deleted too. I am saying all this to say that we don't have 8,000 books in our collection as we have weeded many out over the years, but that from the first time that a book was entered way back when the library was first started (early 70's, I believe)till today we have processed 8,000 books! I'm not sure what our total book count is...probably at least a thousand or maybe more less. There is a way to find that out in the computer, but I didn't have time today to go looking for that number. As we were just about to leave today I decided to print something and the printer came to a "screeching" halt (This printer had also been moved when the workman were changing some things in the library... same time they unplugged the computers and didn't get them plugged in right). The noise was quite alarming. We finally figured out that the paper tray hadn't been put in right and that it was still printing. I decided that I would attempt to put the tray back on another day! I came home and made marinara sauce and then spiralized some of the zucchini that Woody had bought and steamed it for a short time for our "pasta" tonight...I think that they call spiralized zucchini, "zoodles." We both really enjoyed it in place of regular pasta. By the time that I ate supper, I was beat from my long day. I think that I skipped over our school time this morning. It went on as usual. Abigail worked some more on her skirt. We are starting to see the finish for her skirt. She plans to come over Friday morning for a while and we are going to work on it then, if plans go as we made them today. Since I was beat, Woody cleaned up the kitchen for me. He also planted the pansies that may be seen on the steps in tonight's picture. I'm hoping that the cooler temperatures will be a friend to these pansies.

No comments:

Post a Comment