Tuesday, December 20, 2016

Before and After

I'm switching from a Christmas theme to talk about the tornado that happened a few weeks ago now in Tullahoma. Today, I witnessed for the first time just what that tornado did on the other side of town. My friend, who cuts my hair, lives in one of the areas that was hardest hit. I almost always take a picture of Lake Tullahoma from her backyard when I go to get my hair cut. So I have Lake Tullahoma documented in all seasons and all types of weather. Today I took several pictures from her back yard of the aftermath of the tornado...there has been clean up going on for weeks. I was amazed when I drove through at how many trees were down and how much roof damage, etc. was caused by this EF-3 tornado. I am going to attempt to show a before and an after picture of several areas that I usually photograph. First is a shot across the lake...the photo is the before of the one at the end of this group of pictures...most of tree damage is on this side of the lake in this area. Next is a lovely dogwood tree that is in Jody's backyard both in the winter time and also in bloom in the spring...then what is left of it today...just an uprooted stump. So many trees were just uprooted and laid flat on the ground...usually taking large pieces of the yard with them...this is a small uprooting compared to so many of the huge oaks that were blown over. In the last picture you can see the trees laying flat on the ground close to where I am standing and on the other side of the lake there is not a lot of damage (at that spot).
Now I am going to post a few pictures of before(1st photo) and after where I have just turned a little to my right from where I took the above pictures.
As you can see the trees were just plowed down! Our friend who lives two doors away from Jody had a tree come right through the roof of her house...luckily she was in her safe spot. I was talking to her and her daughter the other day and the thing that they notice the most is that they could never see their neighbors' houses across the lake due to the trees except in the winter they could just barely see the houses...now they have a clear view of the houses. Here's a few more just random photos of the destruction that I don't have a before pic:
You can see the height and breadth of some of these trees. Hundreds of very old trees were downed that day. Even though it has been several weeks since the storm hit, the streets in this area are lined with work trucks and the sounds of chain saws fill the air. And, these pictures don't do justice to what it really looks like...and to think that this is the aftermath! Now on to more fun and seasonal topics for this blog! My friends and I had a very good time at brunch this morning. We hardly stopped talking and filling each other in on what is going on in our families from the time they got her till they left about three hours later. Woody spent the morning at the public library working puzzles, reading and looking/finding books to check out. A while after the party was over, I headed out the door to get my hair cut...the reason that I have the pictures that I posted tonight. Woody bundled up a while ago and headed off walking to the prayer room at church. He has yet to return. I guess my next task is to move on to planning for the next party! I need to plan the menu since Woody is going to do our Wednesday shopping in the morning. Party! Party! and on to Party next! 'Tis the season!

No comments:

Post a Comment