Tuesday, December 5, 2017

Christmas is in the Air...and on Mantels, Shelves, Tables...

 I'm a little bit farther along with the decorating (and boxing up of everyday decorative items).  Last night I posted a picture of our mantel...but only about half of it as I hadn't found the rest of the things that went on it.  Tonight I can post a picture of it complete.  I did a panoramic picture so I could get it all in in one shot (reason the mantel looks bowed!).  I still have the shadow box in the family room to put Christmas items in and a couple of other things to put on the desk and then I will be finished with the family room decorations...unless...I decide to do the corner tree this year.  Isaac, Joseph, and Elijah came over and helped some this afternoon.  Isaac continues to be my diehard decorating helper. The living room is just about completed EXCEPT for the BIG Christmas tree (a big except!).
Woody walked six miles early this morning, as he knew that rain and colder temperatures were on the way.  He did get rained on the last part of his walk.  It did rain a good part of the day so a good day to stay in and keep dry, rest, and continue on with decorating.  I gave Woody one of his yearly decorating jobs...changing out the cookie jars!  Now to make the children happy and fill the Christmas cookie jar...just have to come up with a kind that all can eat...meaning Joseph as he can't have any milk products or eggs.  Woody left a while ago to go to the prayer room at church and also to make some visits for our church for the White Christmas boxes that we will be packing soon.  On the night of the 17th we will have the children's Christmas musical and then after that we will gather in canned goods and other nonperishable items.  The next morning we will pack them into boxes to take to families in need in our community.  Each year prior to giving those boxes our deacons pay a visit to the families who will receive a box to make sure about the number in the family, if there are any dietary restrictions, if their are children in the family, etc.  So Woody is attempting to make some of those visits this evening.

I had a usual Tuesday morning of school with six of the seven grandchildren.  Elijah finished the book that we have been reading...so now we will read Christmas stories when he comes over to read.  Joy started sewing blocks together for her throw-sized quilt that she is making.  She put the squares out on the batting today to see if we had enough and how wide she needs to cut the sashing that will go between the squares.  She got one row of squares sewed together with sashing for the center of her quilt.  She is starting to see the quilt grow now. I think that she is happy and looking forward to curling up under it to watch TV or read a book!  I have told her that I will quilt it with my machine after she gets it all pieced together. Esther also did some sewing today.  I let her use her reading time to sew so hopefully she can finish her apron tomorrow.  She is getting anxious to have it to wear as her mommy has started the holiday baking! 'Tis the season!


No comments:

Post a Comment