Tuesday, December 12, 2017

"Riding Into Christmas"

This Hummel is called "Riding into Christmas!" He was one of my mother's Christmas decorations. I feel like I am riding into Christmas at a very fast clip!  The days before our family Christmas seem to be flying by.

Today Joseph and Isaac each had their school time with me. I convinced Isaac that he could take one of the Dick and Jane books home and practice and that when he finished one, he could come back to the "Dick and Jane Library" and get another.  He loved the idea and headed home and proceeded to finish one very quickly and came back to the "Dick and Jane Library" for another.  Esther was laughing when she came over that he was over there reading and reading.  Isaac was very proud that he only had to ask his dad for help with just a few words. Elijah came to read after Isaac finished his time with me and then Esther read after Elijah.  As soon as the readers left, I got busy with our pulled pork recipe.  The Boston butts were larger than I thought so it was a lot of meat to cut off the bone before proceeding with the cooking.  Let's just say it took a looooooong time.  The weird shaped bone that these roasts have in them make them hard to get the bone out and the meat cut up.  But finally I managed and it is ever so much an easier task since I bought a boning knife...but still not an easy or fast task...or perhaps I'm just slow! Once I got that done, Woody and I headed off to get some things that we needed...like Worcestershire sauce that I needed for part of the liquid to cook the pork in.  Woody had used almost all of the Worcestershire sauce that we had in the Chex Mix that he made the other day (must be Christmas!).  We made a couple of stops including the Post Office where Woody mailed our Christmas cards that he had addressed and bought some more stamps to send the rest.  Last night he wrote our Christmas letter.  I proofed and made a couple of changes.  He ran them off this morning and then got busy signing and addressing the cards. Another Christmas task that it is good to have finished.  Our treat after the errands was a stop at the DQ to get Candy Cane Blast Blizzards.  I had another buy one, get one free coupon and it is hard to pass those up!  Plus needed a Christmas Blizzard.  I got back busy on the pulled pork once back home.  Then it was three hours of simmering, skimming and finally pulling the pulled pork.  I still have it simmering to reduce the liquid that it cooked in.  When I am finished with the blog I will go down and take it off the stove and prepare it to store it away.  I'm hoping that Nathan and Kathy have room in one of their freezers as ours is about filled to capacity!  I will check with them tomorrow.  It is good to have our main dish finished for our family Christmas meal on the 23rd.  But it was a LOT of BACK BREAKING work!  My back is protesting and really wants the heating pad and to rest in my recliner!  While I was in the midst of the pulled pork production, Woody walked to and from the prayer room at church.  It is rather cold out tonight...was already 28 when he walked home.  Brrrrrrrrrrrr!  'Tis the season!

No comments:

Post a Comment