Thursday, December 14, 2017

Depicting A Williamsburg Christmas

Colonial Williamsburg, VA is one of my favorite historical areas to visit.  It is one of those places that I just don't think that I could ever get tired of visiting.  Here are my Byer's Carolers that represent Williamsburg.  I have them on the top of the bookcase that has one of my photos of Williamsburg over it.  The narrow shelf has books and items that depict Williamsburg.  I enjoy sitting on the couch in the living room looking at this "scene" and reflecting on our trips to visit the historical area.  One of those trips included the Grand Illumination...this wasn't a trip that I took with Woody.  This time I went with the owner of the Montessori Preschool where I taught for 27 years.  Her daughter was attending William and Mary at the time and Pat and I always said that we would visit Williamsburg together before she graduated.  And, we did!  What a fun time we had despite it being rather rainy!  I got lots of pictures.  But it was before digital photos so I don't have access to them to be able to share all the wonderful natural wreaths, etc. that adorned the buildings in the historical area during the month of December.  Such a wonderful Christmas memory.  The shelf has an apple pyramid ornament, a pineapple, quite a few lady apples, bells, candlestick, a Willliamsburg snowman ornament, antique wire rim glasses, a large key like used in the days of yore, a candle snuffer, etc. along with three books that I have bought at Williamsburg on my various visits including a Williamsburg at Christmas book that I bought on the visit for the Grand Illumination.  Anyway...Williamsburg, VA...one of my favorite places!

This morning I had a fairly usual school day...Joseph and Isaac for their individual preschool times and then three came over to read with me. Woody has worked crossword puzzles, played the computer in several games of Scrabble, read, watched TV...pretty typical day for him too.  He did take a four-mile walk this afternoon.  After I finished up with school I got back to work on Christmas sewing.  I did accomplish one thing today.  I completed the ornaments for the neighbors (Nathan, Kathy and children) and got the childrens' labeled with their name and the year.  I had planned to take them over to them this afternoon, but I didn't have the energy.  Plus I was just so cold that I didn't want to go outside to get colder!  So I curled up under my fleece throw and took a nap.  I felt a little better when I awakened so had enough energy to go down and make chili for our supper.  Woody assisted me by opening cans of tomatoes, etc. and getting the hamburger out for me.  I took over the cooking of the chili and he began preparations to make our favorite cornbread to go with the chili.  I will say that the meal did help to warm me up!  Woody also cleaned up the kitchen.  And, that brings to this point of the evening when we as usual are settling in for a quiet rest of the evening.  I think that I will go back to doing some sewing...'tis the season!

Oops forgot to post the barn photos this evening...here they are:


No comments:

Post a Comment