Saturday, December 2, 2017

"The Cattle are Lowing"





Today has seemed a bit more like preparations for Thanksgiving than Christmas.  I started out the morning making the dark cherry gelatin salad that I make each year for our Thanksgiving meal.  This salad is for my Sunday School luncheon tomorrow.  Then I proceeded to make the sweet potato casserole that I make for Thanksgiving.  Woody decided that he didn't get enough at Thanksgiving time so bought the ingredients so I could make it again.  We didn't have much left after Thanksgiving...that is a favorite of most everyone so it disappeared quickly.  Ummmmm I noticed that appetites have increased as the children got bigger...imagine that!!!!  Today I also made dressing except this time I put apple pieces in it because I was going to serve it with pork.  I got those cooked this afternoon, then for supper I only had to cook the pork chops.  I think we both enjoyed the change from turkey!  The preparations and the aroma definitely mimicked Thanksgiving. To make sure that I didn't get too confused that it was really Christmas preparation time, I played Christmas music while I cooked and did a little decorating.  The decorating has been held to a minimum today since I spent so much time in the kitchen either cooking or cleaning up.  Last night I did get the Precious Moments nativity arranged.  This evening Isaac came over and helped me carry a few more boxes down and we got the place ready to store, for the duration of Christmas, my grandpa's model that he built of the USS Constitution.  Now it will be easy to get the mantel cleared the rest of the way, dusted and ready for snowmen and trees.

Woody went to the public library this morning.  Later in the day he blew some leaves.  And he took a four-mile walk.  He has also enjoyed an afternoon of football on TV, reading, and crossword puzzles.  I'm going to go load up the dishwasher, rest a couple of minutes and then perhaps carry a box or two of decorations downstairs.  'Tis the season!


No comments:

Post a Comment