Friday, December 22, 2017

Twas the Night Before...

So...it is the night before our family Christmas...I guess I am closing in on being ready.  I've done quite a bit of cooking today and some cleaning.  Woody did our grocery shopping this morning and made a stop at the library since he will be otherwise occupied in the morning when he usually goes to the library.  Abigail came over and helped with some of the cooking.  She came just as I put the last ingredient into my Christmas Wassail, but Woody needed her help in making his coleslaw.  Graham helped me carry over their crockpot and then stayed to help put the gifts under the tree.  Rather overwhelming...and Melany, Wade, Erin and Alex haven't brought theirs yet!  It will be quite a fun morning discovering what is in all of these!  The children are quite excited.  Elijah and Joy made several trips over to check on the tree and the gifts...which at that time were mostly on the couch. Woody has followed behind me once again and cleaned up what dishes wouldn't go in the dishwasher.  I still have one cooking chore to do...grate cheese for two casseroles that I will put together early in the morning.  I have pork and chicken barbecue thawing.  I made Texas style barbecue sauce this afternoon.  The wassail is a recipe from my Cottey College days.  After we caroled and hung wreathes on the various campus buildings and the college president's house, we all stopped at one of the dorms and had wassail and sang "Here We Come A-Wassailing."  I have been making the recipe that they shared with us that evening for many years now.  Kathy is excited that we are going to have it this year for our family party and have plenty of it and not just the leftovers after my Sunday School party!

I vacuumed most of the downstairs and then turned the vacuum over to Woody to do the family room. He is watching a DVD now and resting after a busy day.  He didn't walk today due to rain, but he got quite a bit of exercise in just running errands and "honey-do's" for me!  Guess it is time for me to get back to the last minute details. While I waited for the pictures to download...or is it upload...from my camera, I ironed the placemats for the children's table for tomorrow.  I have gotten the plates out for each of the tables.  The glasses for the dining room are in the dishwasher...getting refreshed after sitting in the cupboard for a while.  Mainly little things left to do.  I have even mopped the kitchen floor already...I'm glad I waited as the pineapple juice spilled (the can did it according to Woody) and we have been sticking to the floor all afternoon.  Hopefully there will be no more sticking when I go back down.  Busy! Busy!  And, will be till everyone arrives in the morning!  'Tis the season!

No comments:

Post a Comment