Friday, February 23, 2018

File Fiddling Friday!

The last several days I have been going through some file folders that contain memorabilia from my two years at Cottey College.  Six weeks from today, if all goes as planned, I will be in the midst of my 50th reunion at Cottey in Nevada, MO.  Nevada isn't pronounced like the state...but the first "a" is long...so "Nuh vay duh."  I am going through the things that I saved and that my mother saved from my two years there...quite a bit of "stuff!"  I have been sorting through things and deciding what would be fun to share with my classmates at the reunion...I know pictures...but the pictures that I do have leave something to be desired by today's standards! Most are black and white...and I'm rather glad that they are as the colored ones haven't held up all that well.  In the end I have sorted through everything and have sorted them by months that we did the things in...luckily I saved the calendar that Cottey gave us at the start of each year with some activities on the calendar so I have a calendar page to separate each month and its items.  What I am really pleased to have is the letters that I wrote home...they give a pretty good history of my time at Cottey.  I am so glad to have them to reference when I am trying to document daily  college life back in the late 60's...my what a change from today...for one thing...very few letters today to refer to when looking back at what you were doing at a certain time...there is quite a change in the economy, too...if only college cost today what it did back then!  Anyway, I am having fun going through things and "trying" to remember some of it!  Some memories have definitely faded!  I went to town and bought two notebooks that I will put items from my first year and second year in...so I will have a couple of scrapbook-like notebooks that my friends can go through if they would like. Lots of memories filed away...just trying to bring some of those memories back to the surface so we can share them and hopefully some of my friends will fill in some of the blanks of my memories!

I got up fairly early and decided that I would complete the pinning of Joy's quilt...well, I ran out of pins so had to wait to finish until I went to the quilt store to get some more.  BUT when I got to the quilt store she was out...so...what to do!?!  She suggested that I spray baste them with special fabric glue...I happen to have some of the special spray glue for fabric so will try that...and, if that doesn't work I will just quilt from the center out (where the pins are and when I take pins out I will put them in the spots that need them near the edge of the quilt.  After failing at the quilt store, I went on to Office Max and was successful in finding the color notebooks that I wanted (baby blue for my first year and navy for my second year at Cottey...I think that the navy one will also contain pictures that I took when I went to my reunion back in 1985.  On my way back home I stopped and picked up a prescription...glad that I didn't forget to get it filled as I keep having twinges in my ankle this afternoon...and am hoping that it isn't gout. The med I picked up is three months worth of the medicine that I take for gout everyday...don't want to miss any right now as I want to be able to walk when it comes time for the reunion!!!  If the twinges get worse I will be heading for my gout rescue med...never need gout, but REALLY don't want it now while I am anticipating my reunion.  I came back home and have continued on with working on my Cottey "scrapbooks."  I am putting items in protective sleeves and all those that I had filled to this point are in the notebook in some semblance of order!

Woody did our usual weekly shopping at Aldis, WalMart and Kroger.  I put the groceries away.  He has also worked some outside...cleaning up the leaves from the gardens...pretty much a job that has to be done by hand and not a rake.  What he has done looks good!  We had leftover casserole for supper tonight so no cooking for me today.  I guess the Olympics are winding down now, but I will head downstairs when I post this and see what events are happening tonight.  I know that Woody watched some events this afternoon.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment