Tuesday, April 9, 2019

Picturing Africa


 

I plan to challenge each of the children to create a picture of Africa during their long time this week.  Tonight's photos show what Esther chose to draw/paint.  She used her water color pencils and also her tubes of water color paint.  She chose a picture that her mother took when they went on their safari.  These are two of the white rhinos that they saw with a zebra in the background.  The children have explained the reason that rhinos are called white...has nothing to do with their color.  This type of rhino has wide mouths...black rhinos don't, I guess...haven't gotten that close to any rhino to tell the difference!  The word "wide" got misunderstood and turned into "white"...thus white rhinos. White rhinos travel in groups and black rhinos tend to be alone.  They did see a black rhino, also.  We'll see if the rest of their pictures tell you more about the safari and animals they saw or just what intrigued them about their latest trip to Africa.  This was Joseph's first trip to Africa.  The second trip for Kathy, Abigail, Joy, Esther, Elijah, and Isaac.  And, the third trip for Nathan and Graham. 

Yesterday, since I was posting about "the neighbors" returning from Africa, I didn't post about anything else...thus missing the chance to wish Melany a happy birthday!  Her last year in her forties...oh, my!  How did we get old enough to have children climbing towards 50?

Yesterday I also made my first real purchase for our new kitchen—a kitchen sink faucet.  Today I got started on preparing to paint the other upstairs bathroom.  I took all the hardware down.  Still waiting to hear from the contractor...but at least I still have things to do so I'm not exactly sitting around here twiddling my thumbs waiting for him!

Woody worked quite a while outside in the gardens today. He came in one time saying that it was hot out there.  That's the first time in a long time that I have heard him mention the word "hot." He has 
been so cold the last few months.  Late this afternoon he went to visit one of his Deacon family 
members, went to the prayer room at church,  and stopped to get gas on his way home. He has stayed pretty busy today.  

We are both ready to settle in for a quiet evening.  




No comments:

Post a Comment