Friday, March 27, 2020

A Few of My Favorite Things



Nathan came in today with this pretty bouquet of flowers for me.  Yesterday he went to a local church where they were giving away food...lots of people lined up and lots of food was taken.  But...not all was taken and the person in charge of the food drive told Nathan to come back today and get some of the leftovers.  Among the leftovers were LOTS of bouquets of flowers.  He got quite a few of them and went about brightening up quite a few households by delivering them.  And, our household was one of his deliveries.  I love yellow roses...Woody has given me many yellow roses over the years...as a matter of fact, after I got these arranged he told me "Happy Anniversary!" Nice try...too bad that I know that Nathan brought them in the door for me!  The vase that I arranged them in my mother got me as an engagement gift for the purpose of putting the yellow roses in that Woody sent me.  So I am enjoying yellow roses...one of my favorite things!


Another favorite thing for me is fresh baked bread.  Here's a picture of the loaves that I baked earlier in the week.  One no longer looks like the one in the picture.  We have enjoyed it for sandwiches and toast.  We still have part of one loaf and all of the other.  I am looking forward to making more bread...that is...when I find yeast at the store!  Kathy has told me that I can "shop" at their store (their pantry) as they do have several of the three packets of yeast.

Speaking of stores...Woody and I both ventured out today.  He took his friend to shop and told him only one store today to try to keep down exposure.  He stayed in the car and didn't go into that store. Woody decided to pass me the task of getting our weekly groceries...again, I chose to go to just one store.  I was able to pretty much get what was on my list.  I had been told that any more a grocery list was only a "wish list," since stores are in such short supply of certain items.  Paper products and cleaning items shelves are still sparse, but produce and the other things that I needed were on the shelves.  The girl in produce said that "things" we're starting to get back to normal.  Yeast was the one item that I was really disappointed in not being able to get today.  I checked the store app before I left home and it indicated that they did have some in stock...but not by the time I got there....just two empty boxes where some packets had been.  Since I don't go to the store as often as Woody does, I'm not as familiar with where items are so I took advantage of their app and checked what aisle certain of the items were and made my list by aisles...quicker in and out that way.  My one germ precaution was I wore thin vinyl medical gloves.  We have a box left from when Woody was being treated by home health so I decided to take advantage of having them.  I put them on before going into the store and peeled them off before driving home.  

Before I went to the store I stopped at our church and went in and picked up some more books for Woody.  He said that what I brought home should keep him in reading material for a while!  So far he has enjoyed what I have chosen for him to read.  I think he has read five books since my stop last week at the church.  Tonight he has his Friday night news programs on...so I guess he is finding out what is going on in the world as this pandemic continues on and "if" there is any other news deemed worthy enough to report besides health reports.

Try to do some random acts of kindness during this trying time.  Make someone's day...like Nathan did mine with some pretty flowers.  Besides flowers Nathan and Kathy delivered food to Woody's friend, who was so thankful as he felt that he could now make it through this Covid19 time.  They also dropped flowers off to a parapalegic.  I'm sure that her day was brightened.  The children in our church were challenged to write notes to encourage someone either near or far.  One neighborhood in town has put hearts in/on Windows and doors to encourage people who pass by.  Today has been quite warm and many children in our area  pretended that it was a summer break and had water fun.  

Keep on keeping on.  Enjoy a simpler time.  Less going has meant less pollution.  I saw an amazing photo of Los Angeles with clear sky over the downtown area...something unheard of in recent years...three weeks of being "sheltered in place" in LA has made a difference.  Perhaps this down time is good for us as well as the environment.  Look on the bright side...and, remember this too shall pass!




No comments:

Post a Comment