Tuesday, August 24, 2021

Confusion Simplifies!

Tomorrow's schedule suddenly got simplified today due to confusion on a Vanderbilt doctor's confusion! Now to explain! A little after noon, we recived a call from Woody's "former" Vanderbilt oncologist. I say former as right now since Woody is getting Keytruda in Tullahoma that his "main" oncologist is Dr. Eze. Dr. Wyman said when we left that whenever we needed to see him again to just call back. Well, Dr. Wyman got a call from the new, to us, oncologist that we were supposed to see tomorrow afternoon. She just knew that she had an appointment with Woody tomorrow and had no idea why and was wondering if Dr. Wyman knew. Dr. Wyman said that he didn't have any idea either, but said that he would call us and find out. Of course we really didn't know much about this appointment as it just showed up on our Vandy appointment calendar. I told Dr. Wyman what "we thought" the reason for the appointment was: to make a decision about having the melanoma tumor on Woody's arm injected with an immunotherapy drug. I asked him if that made sense as to why we had an appointment with the other oncologist. In this discussion, he mentioned that they do this treatment in their clinic and it would seem like a better idea for him to treat Woody instead of someone new since he knew Woody's history. Made sense to me! He said that the problem was that he doesn't have clinic hours at Vandy tomorrow, but that he would have them there next Wednesday. We also had an appointment with Dr. Kelley, the surgeon who removed the place on his arm last January and when it came back in another place suggested having it injected with immunotherapy drug. The way we left it was that we should cancel tomorrow's two appointments and then make one with him for next Wednesday and also with Dr. Kelley, if Dr. Kelley had clinic hours there that day. Dr. Wyman also didn't think that Woody needed to come to Vanderbilt immediately, or at least almost immediately, after he receives his Keytruda tomorrow morning. Again, sounded good to us! So I cancelled tomorrow's two Vandy appointments. Woody and I talked before trying to make the new appointments and Woody decided that he really didn't need to see Dr. Kelley that day and to just make an appointment with Dr. Wyman. I easily made that appointment by going into the Vandy portal and messaging Dr. Wyman's office. I explained to him our decision to just see hin and let him make the decision as to whether this treatment would work in Woody's situation. if, per chance, he doesn't think that it will work and that surgery is the answer then we can get back with Dr. Kelley. Dr. Wyman can correspond with Dr. Kelley if he needs to know more about his thoughts. We will see! But I will say that the Vandy portal works very well. I had an email back in fifteen minutes or less with an appointment time next Wednesday! And, with those clicks of the computer's keys our live got much simpler. Now we only have a Fresenius Dialysis supplies delivery and Woody's appointments all under one roof for labs, see Dr. Eze, and have his Keytruda infusion. Last night's peritoneal dialysis went quite well..."only" one alarm with each cycle...so four alarms. Woody still claims to have not slept...but I know that he slept at least an hour at the beginning of his treatment. I stayed up till he went through the first cycle to see how it went. Then I went to sleep and didn't wake up till Woody used Alexa to "page" me this morning around 6:20 that it was finished. Before I came upstairs to blog tonight, I got everything set up so the solution could warm and we could be ready to begin tonight's treatment when Woody is ready to start. My main accomplishment today was to get my hair cut. Oh, I guess I did do some cleaning today. I vacuumed the living room really well...especially where the boxes will be put as it won't be vacuumed again till the solution in those boxes are used up. I knocked down a lot of boxes to take out to the curb to be recycled. The amount of boxes has piled up since last week's recycle time since we got several packages in the mail and also have started to use up the solution again. It took several trips out to the curb to get them all out there. Some are awkward sizes and they slip around if I try to carry too many at once. I did find out that it was hot out there! I swept all the debris off our walkway that accumulated due to all the rain that we got...and due to the squirrels and birds going through our mulch looking for seeds on the ground. I needed to get a clear path for the delivery man to be able to dolly all the supply boxes in tomorrow morning. He is supposed to be here between 8 and noon. I had been told before to expect them at the earliest time when they were delivering before, but things could have changed since we broke that delivery routine...may be different three months later! But at least I can be here for the delivery now. I had a sweet friend on stand-by in case I couldn't be here. I got to let her off the hook for this time! Be safe! Be well! Be cautious!

No comments:

Post a Comment