Tuesday, August 17, 2021

New Wheels!

Last week I ordered a transport chair and it arrived today. I am hoping that it will be much easier to get Woody to and from the car and in and out of other places too. It is much lighter than the big wheelchair. I "think" that I will be able to get it in and out of the car's trunk. I haven't tested that aspect out yet...I managed to get the footrests and the anti-tippers installed...the rest of the chair was already together. It has some neat features. The arms are such that you can be pushed up to a table or desk and the arms also swing up and out of the way so you can just slide from chair to car seat if you push the chair up parallel to the car seat. The way Woody gets in now requires him to stand and move forward and then turn to sit down...not the easiest maneuver! I got handbrakes for my benefit...I think it will be easier to slow down the chair's progression down the ramp...I have found that with the old one the speed picks up as we go down. I think this will make me more in control of driving the chair! The hand brakes can also be lock the wheels when you open them the opposite way...that way I don't have to lean over and lock them at wheel level. The smaller wheel at the back will help us go over bumps...hopefully. Woody has only seen it folded up. I ended up putting it together where I had more room. When I got it finished, he didn't feel like looking. He has his head covered with his throw...the way he has been since getting home today around 5pm from hemodialysis and from a PD flush at the center. He is wiped out again. He is very much hoping that he has had his last hemodialysis treatment for the time being. We will find out tomorrow if Dr. Thomasson, his surgeon, is ready for him to start back peritoneal dialysis at home. We don't have to do the flush at home tonight since they did it at the center today. They were pleased with how quickly he filled and drained. We are all very hopeful that this is indicative that PD will be successful when he starts again. If he doesn't start tomorrow night then I will do flushes till he does start. Nathan stopped by shortly after I got home from taking Woody to dialysis this morning. He took our white car for an oil change and also filled up the car with gas. I was going to do that on our way home from dialysis today, but since Nathan was out doing things for our car, I decided to take advantage and asked him to "fill her up!" I will report to the PD nurses after Woody has his appointment in the morning and then they will get the ball rolling again and take the hold off our supply orders, etc. We may be getting back into PD routine tomorrow night...time...or rather the surgeon...will tell! Be safe! Be well! Be cautious!

No comments:

Post a Comment