Thursday, April 12, 2012

Projects Day!

Busy day between the two Dorrell households! Woody's project of the day was to set up the upside-down garden that Melany, Wade, Erin, and Alex gave him for Christmas. He had two good helpers--Graham and Elijah. When Woody read the directions he found out that he needed sand to put in the bottom of the garden platform. So he, Graham, and Elijah headed off to Lowes...but not before checking in with Nathan to see if he needed something else for the screened-in porch that he was in the process of finishing up. Nathan did need something so Woody added it to the list and headed off with the boys. While they were gone, Esther, Joy and Abigail had their turns of school with me. Esther read to me. Joy read and did some math and then sewed a button onto a pair of Woody's corduroy pants. Then Abigail worked on her science with me and did a bit on her weaving project. After they got home, Woody added sand to the base of the garden stand. I helped hold the stand steady while he made attempts to get the sand into the hole...not an easy task since the sand was damp. After he got that done, he planted two of his tomato plants (upside-down) and then realized that he is supposed to plant some other plants on top of the dirt that holds the tomato plant roots. So Joy, he and I headed off once again and bought some rosemary and some dill. He planted those after he got back, and then could say that his upside-down garden project was completed.

Nathan has had quite a project this week...screening in their back porch. This afternoon he even had Kathy and Graham go up on the porch roof to help hold the screen tight while he got it attached on one of the sides. By the end of the day he had all the screening in. I think that all that is left to do is to add some trim on the outside. They ate a "picnic" supper on the porch this evening...a bit chilly! They are all enjoying spending time minus bugs on their porch as the days warm up!

My projects of the day that got completed: two lightbulbs put into overhead fixtures (Woody and Nathan accomplished that task for me!) and buying two filters for our air returns (Woody did the buying and even replaced one of them for me.). So the projects that I get to mark off my to-do list were done for me!

I will report as we go into the growing season as to how our upside-down garden does. (Now I hope that this posts...this is the second time that I have written the blog this evening!)

No comments:

Post a Comment