Friday, August 1, 2014

And, Thus Begin the Dog Days of August

It has been quite a busy day around our house.  Woody went for a four-mile walk this morning.  Later in the morning he went to get his hair cut.  He had tried to get it cut while on his walk, but the barber wasn't open yet when Woody got there. Woody also worked in the yard a little today...watering gardens.  I got up and continued getting the sewing room back in order after my Esther birthday sewing project.  A friend and I had planned to get together this morning and look at some of my bird photos (so we needed to be able to get to the laptop in the sewing room).  She is thinking about having one of my photos printed on a canvas.  But in the end she wasn't able to come as she woke up with inner ear problems.  After her call, I finished giving the upstairs rooms a "lick-and-a-promise" vacuuming.  Then it was time to get busy on our supper.  I'm not sure exactly when I started, but around 10 or 10:30am and I didn't have dinner out of the oven and ready to serve till 5:30pm.  When things take that long to make I often wonder if they are worth it.  But this ended up being pretty yummy...no-noodle lasagna using zucchini slices for noodles. Nathan helped out by bringing over their meat slicer and sliced the zucchini.  I doubled the recipe that we usually make and shared a pan with Nathan and Kathy and their crew.  They had been away for the last week so it seemed like a good thing to welcome them home with.  I think that it went over "ok" with most...except Elijah had a bit of trouble getting it down...oops...sorry, Elijah!  It uses fresh basil, oregano, and parsley, which we grow so I had to go out and harvest all three of those...then come in wash them and then chop them finely with the Ulu (special Alaskan curved cutting "knife" with a handle that lets you rock it as you chop).  Nathan brought the ulu to me after his mission trip to Alaska many moons ago (his second year of college, I believe).  I really enjoy it for chopping herbs.  Then there was a lot of chopping and slicing of fresh veggies that go in the sauce, thawing and draining spinach, making the meat sauce, grating the cheeses, and finally assembling it all.  I ended up making one extra large baking dish for the neighbors, and then a regular sized baking dish and another small one for us.  At least we will get several meals out of my efforts.  Woody was a great help opening cans and keeping the dishes washed.  There was a point that I wondered if I would get it done in time for two houses on Yale to partake of it today!  I did have to take a couple of short "power breaks" in order to get through. And, after eating my fill of it, I do think that it was worth the effort.  Woody seemed to agree if seconds (maybe thirds) speak louder than words!  So, welcome, August.  I think that this day will end on a leisurely note...anyway I don't plan to do much the rest of the evening and I don't think that Woody does either. Tonight's "dog days of August" photo was taken several years ago...and I may have shared it an earlier time on the blog.  I will say that this is one of my photos that was "saved" thanks to Photo Shop special effects/filters.  It was one of those times that it was just the perfect picture, but the camera just would not focus when I needed it to focus.  But it was just such a pretty doggy picture, that I hated to just delete it.  So I messed around with it in Photo Shop and ended up making it look like a painting.  An example that shows that "photoshop" has become an accepted verb in our language...because this photo was definitely photoshopped.

No comments:

Post a Comment