Monday, February 16, 2015

Presidents' Day 2015

It has been a cold, dreary, drippy day here in Middle Tennessee. We ended up below the line of the snow and the sleet...we have just mainly had rain...which is freezing on the trees...not good. I'm praying that we don't have the type of ice storm we had "several" years back...one when we lost electricity for almost a week. When I hear the words "ice storm" I get a dreaded feeling. I was so hoping that we would have snow so the grandchildren could enjoy it. I'm blogging early just in case the tree limbs start breaking and bringing down electric wires with them. The night of the ice storm that I am remembering all night long it sounded like we were under artillery siege...the limbs breaking sounded just like guns being fired...not a pleasant memory! Since it is Presidents'Day we didn't have school, but I did have Abigail's sewing time. She got the rest of the doll dress cut out and we machine embroidered a heart on the bodice and she sewed the shoulder seams. So she is underway with her next sewing project. I got up and hit the ground running determined to get some things done around the house. I have vacuumed, dusted, washed and dried a load of clothes, swept the kitchen floor (after a rather messy tea party/picnic put on and attended by Elijah, Esther,& Isaac...Esther said the blame rested on Isaac...and I think that she was right!), cleaned bathrooms...all that while adding things back into the decor of everyday status...lots of trips up and down the stairs getting pictures for the walls and decorative items for the tables and shelves. The living room is "almost" back to everyday status...I still have my little bookshelf that houses my Hummels to arrange but have decided that that job can wait till tomorrow...or my back says that it needs to wait till tomorrow! I have to move furniture during this "getting back to normal" so I have done a lot more than I usually do. Woody has been sort of "stove-up" today as he woke up with a stiff neck. He and the heating pad have been best friends today. I have suggested a couple of other things that he could do besides the heat to help it, but so far he hasn't taken my suggestions. The rain continues to come down and the temperature continues to drop. Here is the view of of our back yard at three o'clock this afternoon...you can see that the trees were starting to take on a glassy, white look:
Beautiful...BUT...really not a good thing...especially as the rain continues to fall and freeze on trees and bushes and it is now once again below freezing...so what ever falls will just build up more and more. When I was closing curtains a few minutes ago, I noticed that one of the large bushes on one side of our house was laying rather flat...ice had weighed it down...it will bounce back up once the ice melts...but more brittle branches will just come down. If you don't hear from me tomorrow, figure that we are "iced in" and huddled under piles of blankets praying that the electricity folk work quicker than last time!!!! What happened before was that we and two other houses on our street are on a different line than the rest of our subdivision...and all the folk around us had their electricity back on and we still didn't...it was finally discovered where we were getting our electricity and once that was figured out we were back on rather quickly. This time at least we know to let workers know the direction our electricity comes from...anyway I hope knowing that will help! The recliner is calling to me...off to rest and read a book that I am enjoying. I wanted to sew, but think that is being put off till another day, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment