Friday, April 17, 2015

A Little Birdie Told Me...

This has been a day for the birds. And, the first of the day for me was really "for the birds." I got up and decided that I would do some sewing. I managed to make the same mistake twice...meaning that I had to pick out four rather long seams. I finally got it right...by that time it was time for lunch! After lunch I went outside and sprayed a clear coating on the bird houses. After they dried (quite quick drying stuff), Woody attempted to attach the mounting hardware, but he found out that the bolts included with the poles weren't long enough to go through the hardware and the bottom of the birdhouse. So he had to go to the hardware store to get some more bolts. He managed to find the right size and came home and got the hardware mounted and then put the poles together. Then we went outside and decided where to place the new birdhouses. I like these birdhouses...but not as well as the ones we had before. The poles are better than the ones before, though. Hopefully some little birds will be glad that they are there and take up residence. Besides all his birdhouse work, Woody has really worked hard outside today. He has mowed and mowed and mowed. He defintely seems to be feeling better and also stronger in his upper body strength these days. He has to rest periodically...but no where near as much and doesn't seem to come in huffing and and puffing like he was there for a while. Now...about tonight's blog title...a little birdie did actually tell me something today. I was sitting on the front porch after we got the bird houses put up and all of a sudden something buzzed really close to my head...at first I thought that it was one of those big bees but then realized that it was a hummingbird. As soon as he buzzed me, he headed to where the hummingbird feeder used to be. I decided he was trying to tell me something! So I went inside and made some hummingbird nectar. After it cooled, I filled the hummingbird feeder and hung it back where it had been last year. After that, I filled the suet feeder and put seeds in our other two feeders. So the birds should be happy in our yard for a short while at least. I sat on the porch and listened to all the birds up in the trees and hoped that some would come visit the feeders and/or the houses. Shortly after I filled one of the feeders a nuthatch flew in and got some seeds. I never captured him with the camera when he was on the feeder but spotted him on the tree where he landed to eat the seed and gota picture of him there. Not long after that a pretty cardinal landed in our yard and then a robin posed for a while up in the dogwood tree. I have created a collage of some of the pictures showing part of our day for the birds! You can click on the collage to see the photos larger.

No comments:

Post a Comment