Thursday, April 30, 2015

Fueling Up for May

A little while ago I decided to watch out the living room window and see what activity would happen at the suet bird feeder. The suet is disappearing rapidly and we often see the suet cage swinging wildly when we go out the door, but so far I hadn't caught any birds feeding there. These pictures aren't the greatest as they are taken from inside through the glass and also through the porch...it is a ways from our window to the feeder...but at least these show some of the varieties that fed there in a very short period of time this evening while I was watching. In the few minutes that I watched I saw red headed woodpeckers...two on the feeder at one time, a couple of downy woodpeckers (the one pictured is the female...no red on her head), a mockingbird, and the funniest...a robin. The robin is just not adapted to swing upside down on feeders like this...as a matter of fact in all the time that I have had feeders out, this is the first time that I have seen a robin at one of them. He was quite awkward and would swing wildly around on the feeder trying to get to the bottom of it...it was rather comical as he would swing upside down. We bought a new suet block today, but I will wait to put it in till this one is gone. I guess that the birds are fueling up on this last day of April...getting ready for the month of May. As for me, I can't believe that April is already just hours from being over. Woody walked early this morning...I'm not sure how far...but at least four miles. I can't check as he is next door taking care of seven younguns. Nathan and Kathy are off on a date. They decided to go out to eat at a local restaurant that is located out in the country not far from here...Granny Fishes. I told Nathan that they might see folk that they know...he texted me a while ago to say that our friends the Hasty's are there as well as his preschool Montessori teacher (my former "boss") and also his fifth grade teacher...it is a very small world here in Tullahoma! I had school today with all my little pupils. Joy got started sewing the pair of shorts that she is making...cut them out and sewed a couple of seams...she is well underway. After lunch, Graham came over for his time of reading with me. When he finished reading, Woody and I headed off to run some errands...a stop at the pharmacy, a stop at the fruit market (and, no "real tomatoes" to be had today), then off to WalMart and Lowes to look at plants and seeds and containers. We came home and planted seeds and plants...really Woody did most of the work I just helped by placing pots and opening a seed packet or two. We ended up planting the new cedar planter that Nathan and Graham made with herb seeds. We used the new container that we bought to plant rosemary (a plant rather than seeds). And we bought a container of "hen and chicks." I remember Woody's parents having "hen and chicks" in their container gardens and I decided that we would try our hand at them. Woody also planted some flower seeds out in two of our front gardens. Now we will see if these seeds sprout. He planted a packet of parsley seeds a week or so ago and they have sprouted...so hopefully at least some of these will too. This last day of Apri definitely was a busy one...now I am ready to settle in and read for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment