Friday, April 24, 2015

On The Road Again...

Today's trip...to my doctor for a six month check-in and lab work...took us right through the "nursery capital of the world." Once you get out of Manchester on the way to McMinnville you start seeing green houses, lines of baby trees, etc. We left the house a little before 8am and were back home around 11am...so my doctor trip doesn't take as long as Woody's do! We stopped on the way home at our favorite fruit and vegetable stand (less than a mile from our house) and bought some more "real tomatoes." That was our only stop except for the doctor's office. We ate lunch pretty much as soon as we got home...I was hungry...as it was fasting bloodwork. Not long after I finished lunch, Nathan came over with a dilemma. They have been waiting and waiting to get their RV fixed and they got the call today that the parts were in and to bring it in. They thought that they would take it tomorrow, but the weather forecast is for lots of rain and storms. He was checking if it would either be possible for Woody to follow in our car (so Nathan would have a way home) or if we would take care of the children and Kathy would go. In the end we took care of six of the children and Kathy, Abigail and Nathan went. What an afternoon...I am in awe of how they get everything managed over there. Joy had an appointment for speech so I took her to that. When I got home Esther was on "kitchen duty" for today and that included making two loaves of bread in their bread machines. We got started on the bread and realized that we needed more soy milk (Joseph can't have any real milk products...so they make their bread with soy milk so he can eat it). So Woody and Graham went to the store for soy milk...found out later from Kathy that we could have used almond milk which they also had...but the recipe "said" soy and Esther and I were trying to follow the recipe. When Woody and Graham got back we got to work on the bread and Woody and Graham went next door to do Graham's weekly hour lesson with Goosey (Woody). We had to have Joy show us how to get one of the bread machines working and Graham had to come over to get the other one started! Grammy makes bread the old fashioned way...I don't know anything about bread machines! After bread making was finished, we all headed outside. Isaac, Joseph and I stayed inside the fence and got some fresh air. The bigger kids went off to work in their gardens on the other side of the fence and out in back of our house. Joy was planning to work on getting the garden turned that is on "the back 40." Joy amazed her parents in getting it all turned.
She came to me one time and told me that one of the neighbors told her that it would be easier to turn it with a tool that "started with a "t"" but she wasn't sure what that tool was. She wanted to know if Goosey had one! The only thing that I could think of was a "trowel" since I was thinking of small garden tools. She said that she didn't think that was the tool he said. About an hour later, I thought...ah! a tiller! Well, we are not sure which of the backdoor neighbors helped her out...but that plot got tilled. Ahhhhhh the wiles of a young girl! Wouldn't you help her out, it you saw her pretty smile?
After gardening, they came in and the girls got going on the finishing touches of their supper...they made the salad for the family. Esther's job on kitchen duty was set the table...so she did that and she and Joy had fun getting it set up "like a restaurant"...wrapping their utinsels in a napkin. When I found out that Nathan and Kathy and Abigail were almost home I served up the children's plates...so it was pretty much time to sit down when they walked in the door. Everyone was pretty hungry as it was a bit later than they usually eat. I came home, but had to run back and get my camera...and boy did the baking bread smell good when I walked back in the door...Esther's bread at least passed the smell test! Woody and I are now settling in for a relaxing evening...I'm ready for my recliner...Woody is already sitting in his. There was never any time for Woody to take a walk today...as you might imagine! Busy, busy day for this Grammy and Goosey!

No comments:

Post a Comment