Thursday, June 11, 2015

Thursday Doings

This has been a stay at home day for both of us...of course, except for Woody's five mile walk. My take on the day is that it was a rather warm one...based on going outside twice for a very short time and never leaving our yard. I did go check out the neighbor's back yard...from our side of the fence...they are keeping two large white dogs (Great Pyrennees, I think). Note...I was on my side of the fence...not a dog person. These dogs had belonged to their neighbors, but their neighbors were moving and weren't going to be able to take them with them. Kathy parents had mentioned that they would love to have them...and today they were given to them. I know that Kathy's mom is delighted. They are on their way from south Georgia to get them...a seven hour drive. These dogs are known for the fact that they are the escape artists of the neighborhood...so Nathan and Kathy are hoping that they can keep them inside their fence long enough for Kathy's folks to get here for them! The kids have been watching the dogs from inside their screened-in back porch. Joseph will miss going up to their fence to point at the "woof-woofs." I'm not sure that he will be all that excited to have them in his back yard...he's not too fond of dogs that are up close and personal. He was away when the dogs came to stay in his yard so I don't know his reaction. The kiddie pool that my friend Linda brought for the kids to splash around in became a large water bowl for the dogs...necessity is the mother of inventions! Besides taking a walk today Woody has worked in the yard weeding and mulching. Inside he has read, watched TV, worked crossword puzzles, etc. I started out the day finishing another e-book. Then I got busy on working on the Sunday School lesson for Sunday. Late afternoon I did actually step into the kitchen and cooked...not something that I have done a lot of lately due to my feet bothering me and then yesterday my back. Today I managed to fry slices of yellow squash freshly picked a couple of days ago from the neighbor's garden...Joy brought it over to share with us. It was very good. Then I also made pork chops...did a variation on a recipe that we sometimes make with country ribs...I made a sauce with orange marmelade...tasted quite good. We also had steamed asparagus that Woody prepared. After supper I got the dishwasher all loaded and then set the timer to remind me to go down and start it running. The timer just went off so as soon as I publish this I will head downstairs to push the start button. This is the time of year that we are encouraged to not run major appliances from noon to 8pm (peak electricity hours in the summer)...the way we are encouraged to do this is by our utility board charging us more during these hours. I "try" to use less during this time...but cooking and cooling of the house sometimes have to be done peak hours or not! Dishwasher can be run at down time...that is if I remember to start it! So on that note I am pushing the publish button and heading downstairs to start it...before I forget!

No comments:

Post a Comment