Thursday, July 28, 2016

Empty Nested & Rascally Antics

While I waited for Alex and his girlfriend to arrive, I sat on the front porch. It was drizzling and the temperature was pleasant enough to sit out there and wait. I noticed a couple of days ago that it looked like our little robins had left the nest. Tonight I show that the robin parents are empty nesters once again. I wish that I had witnessed them hopping around "getting their wings." I have managed a couple of times to spot a baby shortly after they leave the nest, but not this time. I reluctantly fill my bird feeders as we seem to attract squirrels more than birds and they just make themselves at home IN the feeder. I took a couple of these photos through the window as when I open the door they literally leap out and run and hide. That is they try to hide, I can usually spot them sitting very still on a branch up in the tree just waiting for me to go back in so they come back down and feast. While I sat there I did see a couple of birds come to both feeders. I figure that the squirrels keep them away as they just climb in and eat to their heart's content. Alex and Brooke arrived and Brooke had a smile on her face as she had passed the driving part of her driving test and now is one of the newest licensed driver in TN. They come to our DMV as it is MUCH less crowded than theirs in Murfreesboro. We visited till lunch was ready and then had lunch. Alex gave me 5 stars! This is from the pickiest eater of our nine grandchildren...and, of course, I cooked his favorites...hamburgers, corn on the cob and curly fries. They said that they were too full for dessert and needed to get on their way for the rest of their busy day. It was nice that they were able to "kill two birds with one stone"=get her license and fit in a visit as well. After they left, Woody and I enjoyed the dessert: warm Blueberry Dump Cake with vanilla ice cream...pretty yummy. They just don't know what they missed! I read for a while after lunch and then took a nap...Grammy was worn out I guess! We will be up with the birds in the morning as Woody has very early appointments tomorrow. I'm hoping that means that it won't be a very long day at Vanderbilt...but time will tell! I'll report tomorrow, when I blog, on what the doctor says about Woody's scans. It has been a nice rainy day and seems to have broken the extreme heat pattern. And, now I will bid you a good evening and leave you with a picture of one of our rascally squirrels in what looks like his cradle or hammock...oh, the life of the squirrels in our neighborhood!

No comments:

Post a Comment