Friday, July 22, 2016

Summer Memory

I went hunting through my photo files to find a summery photo and when I saw this one I immediately had a memory of a summer way back when I was MUCH younger. My family and I were visiting with friends at their cabin in the White Mountains in Arizona. We were on a jaunt in our host's Jeep. My dad and our host were taking pictures and I guess Mother, our host's wife, my sister,Cheryl, and I were just walking around exploring the pretty country side. I came across one of these plants that is pictured tonight. It was the first time that I had encountered a thistle plant and I thought that it was really pretty and decided to pick one...NOT a good idea. I found out very quickly how unfriendly this plant is and how many stickers/thorns it has on its stem. To this day I think that these are beautiful...but everytime I see one a shiver runs down my back at the rembrance of how it felt in my hand all those many years ago. I learned my lesson...never touched one again...but will photograph them! Tonight's photo represents both the past and the present...black and white=past and color=present. It has been another very hot day here...again in the 90's. Woody didn't go out walking early as he planned to walk to our pharmacy to pick up a prescription for his daily walk. By the time that he got back he wished very much that the drugstore opened way earlier than it does! It took him a while to recoup from that walk which is quite a bit shorter than his four-mile walk. Before he went to the pharmacy, he made two loaves of zucchini blueberry bread...YUMMY! I decided to cook for our lunch rather than for supper. I made the recipe from the spiralizing cookbook that had the kohlrabi in it. It was a glorifid scrambled egg dish with a "stir-fry" of kohlrabi, chicken smoked sausage with apple, and spinach and arugala. Salsa verde was drizzled over the egg/veggie mixture. It was different and really quite tasty. Once again I worked on Christmas ornaments. I made three more today so now have a total of five. Today I concentrated on making all the same kind since I had the fabric, thread colors, etc. all pulled for that specific one. I would rather sew a variety of things, but this was more practical in this instance. I still have fabric enough for one more of this one. I might make another one this evening to get that particular design finished, but then again I'm a bit tired of sewing and am thinking that I would rather read. Maybe I can do both? Time will tell. We are settling in for another quiet evening at our house.

No comments:

Post a Comment