Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Hot! Hot! Hot!

A heat wave has settled in here in Middle TN and we're not moving any too fast.  Woody did walk this morning to beat the heat.  He had wanted to do some mowing, but it was just too hot.  So that "to-do" stays on his list!  About the only thing that I accomplished today was going to work in the library as I do each Wednesday after lunch.  The three of us got well underway processing the new books.  Several of the books even got put out on the new book shelf...all ready to be checked out.  And, one got checked out.  Boy was the car hot when I went out to get in it to come home.  Today was one of those days when it is best to stay inside in air conditioning!  When I think about air conditioning, I think back to the days when I was a child...just think I grew up without air conditioning and I lived in Arizona!  We had water coolers...or what are now called swamp coolers.  BUT it was dry heat...at least most of the time.  When it did get humid...boy did those water coolers not work very well.  We did have vents in our house like the air conditioning vents of today and the air blew out the vents...well, the damp air that blew out of them was the bane of my existence back then (especially in my teen years!)...as that damp air really did a number on my naturally curly hair! I would walk by a vent and "BOING/FRIZZ" my curls would go!!!" The other thing that I remember about water coolers is packing for vacations.  We would get all our clothes neatly folded in the suitcases all ready to wear during our vacation.  Well, when the suitcase was opened the clothes were all damp from being packed in a house with a water cooler...and warm from being in the trunk for the length of our trip. Steam would practically rise up out of the suitcases!  Funny where my mind travels sometimes!  Maybe I am thinking about taking trips when I lived in AZ due to the fact that my sister is planning a trip to TN in a few months.  I have started my list making for prior to her visit...so far one list with food ideas and one with things "to-do" before she comes.  After starting those lists I sat down and snoozed for a while...too hot to get started on doing any of  them...even though I live in an air conditioned house and should be able to keep on keeping on even in the heat...guess not!

No comments:

Post a Comment