Monday, December 17, 2018

More Nostalgia

Woody asked the other day if he could have Spinach Rice Bake...a recipe that my mother shared with us many years ago.  Pictured above is the recipe that she sent me...judging by the recipe card it is from our early years of marriage...so probably close to 50-years old.  On the back she wrote that she had served this to company a couple of times and everyone loved it.  We also really like this recipe and have made it many times over the years.  But...a major problem now...Woody can't have spinach. I got to thinking about what I could substitute and decided that a frozen package of onions, red peppers, and green peppers might work well in it.  I also didn't put the amount of Parmesan cheese on it that it calls for...just sprinkled a little over the top. Woody said that it was good and that it definitely reminded him of the original recipe. I think that it is probably the herbs and spices that "made it."  At least it is something else to rotate into the recipes that he can have.

I have sewn most of the day.  We didn't have school today since it was the day to deliver food boxes from out church to those in need in the Tullahoma area.  Nathan, Kathy and family helped pack boxes and deliver them.  I am working on gifts for our in state family now.  Woody made a trip to the Post Office this morning to mail the package to AZ and two other out of state mailings.  He got some more cards from Nathan so he has been working on getting the rest of our cards out.  He also wrapped one present today.  He said that he thought that he could wrap one a day. Ha! At that rate Christmas needs to hold off a bit! I think that he is attempting to add in more activity to his days.  He even got out the small leaf blower and blew leaves off half the front porch.  Kathy finished that job for him.  He rested while doing the leaf blowing on the front porch with Peaches on his lap!  Can you tell it was a very nice day out today.  Since it was so nice, it was decided that Georgia needed to be reintroduced to the great out of doors! The kids kept track of her and followed her everywhere...that is till it was time for them to go in for lunch.  When they came back out...no Georgia!  They hunted and hunted.  Finally gave up with the hope that she would come back when she was hungry.  After it grew quiet outside, I walked around the house shaking the cat food container.  It wasn't long till I heard a pitiful little "meow" and there was Georgia looking out at me from one the vents that goes under our house.  She got in, but couldn't get back out through the opening.  Nathan opened the back crawl space opening and she came out immediately.  So a lost Georgia cat was once again found!  She was pretty happy to come back inside and at the moment is taking a bath on my lap.  For the time being we plan to let her stay inside at night and be outside during the day time.  She needs to get acclimated to colder temperatures.  Got to get her fur thicker!  You should see her sister!  She is one giant fluff ball!  Of course Georgia won't get a coat that thick since she is a short-hair, but that short hair needs to get thicker!  She did a lot of shedding when she returned from her four months of travel so now needs to get that thicker coat back!

Woody just left for the Furnace Room Prayer meeting.  I guess I need to go clean up the kitchen and then get back to my sewing.  I got the first part of five gifts done today.  Hope to get a couple more done before bed.  I got two gifts completely done yesterday.  Plus got all the gifts that I was sending off in the mail wrapped.  So I guess that "things" are coming together. 'Tis the season!

No comments:

Post a Comment