Friday, December 13, 2019

"Tennessee Christmas"

Tonight's photo show two ornaments on our tree that represent Tenessee.  The heart is counted needlework that I did some years ago. It has different symbols that "are" TN.  The mocking bird is our state bird.  The music notes represent the music industry and the irises are our state flower.  If I recall correctly the other lines represented something about the state too, but I would have to find the needlework graph to remind myself what they represent.  The red, white, and blue wooden ornament is a facsimile of our TN flag. Close to these two is s brass ornament that I bought for Tennessee's bicentennial several years back. (By the way, if you look at the picture again, you will see where I hung the pickle ornament this year.  The children will be hunting the pickle at Aunt Melany and Uncle Wade's this year so I guess that it is okay that ours is this easily found!  Speaking of the pickle ornament...the grandchild who finds the pickle first gets to open the "pickle present." This is a gift that stays at our house for all to enjoy.  This year Alex has hidden a pickle ornament on their tree for the hunt.  I guess he thinks that he is too old to hunt...so will join in the fun this way!  The pickle present arrived on our front porch this afternoon...so another step closer to being ready.

Woody headed out fairly early and did our weekly grocery shopping.  He came home and rested a bit and then ran errands with his friend. Those errands took about three hours!  He came home from that and ate a late lunch and rested some more.  His pulled muscle is still bothering him some.  He is upstairs as I write this, making copies of our Christmas letter.  We will get them out...and hopefully they will arrive at their destinations prior to Christmas Day!

Today has been a cooking day for me...no ornaments so far today...I did get two more finished yesterday.  I put away groceries after Woody got home and when doing so found a large roaster chicken.  I decided that I had better go on and roast it right away.  After roasting, I carved and sliced and diced the meat to be used in sandwiches, soups, and whatever.  I wasn't going to make chicken stock, but in the end talked myself into it...that way what is in the freezer can stay there and I can use the fresh for soup and gravy, etc.  The stock simmered for several hours.  It is now cooling in the fridge.  Esther's kitties got a treat from that cooking and then hung around on the front porch for the rest of the daylight hours...hopeful for more!  I also made gravy so Woody can have some hot chicken sandwiches if he wishes.  I now have a lot of greasy dishes to go tend to...most will go in the dishwasher after I unload it from the first cooking run!

I need to continue cooking as none of what I did today is what I need cooked for tomorrow!  Melany and Erin are coming to spend some time with us.  Erin hasn't seen the kitchen as she was sick at Thanksgiving time and didn't get to come.  I'm heading down to cook spaghetti sauce and meatballs.  I'm going to at least get the meatballs cooked tonight...not sure if I will go father or just get up in the morning and make the sauce...and maybe some homemade bread of some type to go with it.  So I'm off to make meatballs!  'Tis the season!




No comments:

Post a Comment