Saturday, February 29, 2020

Leap Day 2020!


This photo from our barn trip yesterday is sort of surreal with the clouds floating over the hill tops and then the large area of snow on the hillside...and then such a pretty bucolic scene at the base of the hills.  There are at least two barns in this photo.  Yesterday's trip unfolded more of the beautiful Tennessee rolling hillside scenery.  We had a wonderful time together...chatting, catching up on our families' doings, and snapping many, many photos between us.  We ate at next to a grist mill in what was probably a storage building at one time for the mill...The Readyville Mill Restaurant.  I had a yummy sandwich made with smoked turkey, mixed salad greens, melted Brie cheese, and apple butter spread on the bread.  Today I found a similar recipe online to be able to print off to remember so I can replicate the sandwich again sometime.  I will be posting photos for a while of this trip as we got quite a variety of barns and also a few animals and other interesting sites along the route we took. Carolyn and I are glad that Marie, who drives, has such a good sense of direction...at times we had no idea of where we were, but Marie always seemed to know if she was driving south, north, east, or west!  Thank goodness...as we really drive in and around and back and forth with lots of stops along the side of the road to snap the next photo...always hoping that that the road stays clear of other vehicles...Ha!...which is impossible, but we find pull offs or sometimes go back to get the ideal angle!    Let's just say we have a lot of fun!  And, the three of us come away with LOTS of good photos...upwards into the hundreds for each of us...thank goodness for filmless technology!  I have no problem shooting lots and then deleting the blurry ones after I get home...and, still have many that I consider "keepers!"  We almost didn't go on our barn trip because we woke up to snow on the ground, but it dissipated quickly and we decided that it would be safe to travel...and it was.  This was the first of our barn trips that we got a few barns in the snow before it melted away.

Woody held down the fort yesterday, but I think he was gone almost as long as I was when he added up the time to get our groceries and run errands with his friend.  I think he only beat me home by about 1-1/2 hours.  He left the house about 8:15am and I left at 8:30.  He, of course, came home to unload our groceries (I'm thankful that grandchildren were available to do what I usually do...bring the groceries in!) and rest for a while and then headed off to pick up his friend.  He said that he didn't
get home till after 3pm and I got home around 4:30pm.

Today I stayed home and did some cooking...I roasted red peppers in preparation to make Woody's Sweet Red Pepper Sauce (his catsup).  Then I roasted a chicken and sliced it and also got pieces of chicken that I will use in soup or a chicken and rice casserole.  I froze the carcus for future chicken broth/stock making.  We don't need any at this time...but I will have the bones when we do need some and I won't have to cook a chicken to make broth/stock.  I had planned to do more cooking, but my back gave out...and the recliner beckoned!

Woody made his weekly trip to the public library.  I noticed that he was back home, but hadn't come in.  He was basking in the warmth of the car.  He stays cold most of the time (part of kidney disease) and was enjoying the warmth...he stayed out there quite a while.  I went out and sat with him for a little while and got too hot...I think the excess heat caused muscles in my back to relax too much and I got out of the car and had a muscle spasm...thus had to sit with a heating pad on my back for a while after that.  That may not be what caused it but it made me suspicious...my back hadn't acted up in some time and I had to be really careful the rest of the afternoon.  It does seem better now that I have rested it.

And, that sums up the extra day for this Leap Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment