Saturday, July 17, 2021

Another Week Coming to a Close

Saying good bye to another week...seems like I just did that a few days ago. Time is going by so quickly. Woody left for dialysis at 7am this morning and was home at noon on the dot. He drove himself to dialysis today...a first since his surgery. I spent most of the morning in the kitchen. I made a recipe of my mother's...one that I had at ready if we had needed it while Cheryl and Rachel were here. The three of us really like...Woody not so much...that's the reason that I had wanted to make it when there more than me to eat it. But we didn't need it so now I am going to enjoy it. It is Tuna Garden Salad. The first time we had it was when we were visiting in AZ many years ago. It is a gelatin salad...but not a sweet type of gelatin salad. It uses unflavored gelatin. It also calls for Cream of Celery Soup. Since I don't use canned soups anymore, it means that I have to make my own...takes a bit of time. I had all the veggies that go in it all chopped...which helped on the time. The major eater of time is that you have to dissolve the gelatin in the hot soup and then add several other ingredients and then put it in the fridge and wait for it to start to gel so you can fold in the rest of the veggies and the tuna. I'm always afraid that I will wait too long...but I didn't and the salad was together and in the refrigerator to firm up the rest of the way. This was an appropriate day to make one of Mother's recipes as it is her birthday...it would have been her 109th birthday. The other thing that I did in the kitchen involved the herb garden. I decided that it was time to cut some oregano and dry it as my oregano container was getting empty. Sometimes I let the herbs dry on the counter in some of the pots that Melany has made on her pottery wheel, but today I decided to dry the oregano in the microwave...doesn't take very long! I still have to put it in the food processor to chop it up...a job for another day. I also cut two kinds of basil and cut those up and did put them in the pots to dry naturally. Having the herbs helps me to top off my spice/herb jars...at this time of the year I should never run out of thyme, oregano, chives, parsley, marjoram, or basil. The kitchen had quite a strong aroma of dried herbs...even Woody could tell when he got home. It may have kicked off my allergies as I have been sneezing and blowing my nose quite a bit today...of course, there is probably another good reason...I ran out of my allergy medicine a few days ago and hadn't gotten a chance to go to get any more. I made a WalMart run this afternoon as I had several things that I needed including several over-the-counter meds that I take daily. I have already taken my allergy med...hoping that it will stop the sneezing and runny nose and itchy eyes. I also roasted a chicken today and cut the meat off the bones...so now can have sandwiches or make a casserole or...I have gotten the kitchen cleaned up and the dishwasher is going...and, I'm ready to do nothing the rest of the evening except sit in my recliner! Woody has read, watched TV and done his daily crossword puzzles. I had his puzzles printed and ready for him when he got home from dialysis. I'm sitting here thinking what I did today and mainly remembering the things that I planned to do that I didn't get done...but I have stayed busy most of the day and haven't done much sitting! We did get a call about the ramp that is going to be built for us...weather permitting they will get underway with it on Tuesday. I still can't believe that we are at a season in our lives that we need this to be done for us...time does march on...whether we want it to or not! Be safe! Be well! Be cautious!

No comments:

Post a Comment