Wednesday, July 14, 2021

Where Do I Begin?!?

I'll start with the pretty flowers in tonight's blog photo. After a very long morning of appointments, it was so nice to hear from a friend and have her drop by with these lovely sunflowers to brighten up our day...along with some freshly picked blueberries and an inspirational book. How thoughtful and what perfect timing to give us a boost after the busy day. I wasnt sure if Woody wanted me to go with him to his surgeon appointment. But since the Peratoneal dyalysis catheter had to be addressed and I had what the dialysis nurse told us yesterday written downin my iPad notes, he decided that he wantedme to go to at least be another pair of ears. The surgeonwas pleased with the way Woody was healing. Next he addressed the problem of the peratoneal catheter. He isnt ready to call uncle yet. He wants the nurses at dialysis continue to attempt to get the catheter flowing more freely by using heparin. He wants Woody to get back on PD at home as soon as possible. He told us he would call and talk to Woody's dialysis nurse. The other thing that Woody wanted the surgeon to address was whether he could have a prostate biopsy that his urologist has scheduled. I was hoping the surgeon would nix it so soon after this surgery...but...nooooooo..he said that it would be perfectly fine. Woody is to go back to the surgeon in two weeks...we had to make that visit a little after the two-week time since two weeks from today is the biopsy. The one good thing about today's back-to-back appointments is that the offices are right next to each other so we just walked next door and got signed in for his oncology appointment. He decided that he wanted me there to be extra ears when he talked to his oncologist. We got there a bit early...but things proceded right along. They called him in for labs, then he saw the medical assistant who asked questions and pumped answers into the computer. The doctor came in and addressed questions that Woody had. This was the first time that I had met Dr. Eze. He asked about Woody's surgery to repair the tear in his peratoneum. Then he wanted to know about what Woody had found out at the endocronologist. We had to tell him that that appointment had never been made. He said that he would see that it was made before we left today. Next he addressed the melanoma on Woody's arm. He agrees that it is much larger. He was hoping that the Keytruda would have made it go away. He said Keytruda needs to continue as it treats his whole system. Removing or injecting the melanoma on his arm wouldn't do anything for the rest of his system. He didn't seem too anxious to do anything with the place on Woody's arm unless it became extremely painful. Then he addressed having the PET scan to see what was going on in the rest of his body. He had them schedule that appointment also before we left. At that point Woody headed into the treatment room andI went out to sit in the very cold waiting room. When Woody came out, he already had the appointments. But since I hadnt been there when they were making them, there is a conflict on the day they scheduled the PET scan...conflicts with the biopsy. I will have to call and get that appointment changed. We got home around 12:30...hard, long morning for Woody. He decided that he wanted his protein shake for lunch. I got that fixed for him and started getting something for me and the phone rang. It was a friend who was having inner ear problems and her doctor had told her to take dramamine and would I get her some. Before I fixed his lunch, I had called the pharmacy to fill some prescriptions for us...so I managed to kill two birds with one stone by getting her dramamine while I was getting our medicine. I took her medicine to her, talked to her for a few minutes, and headed home to rest! When I sat down I called our Fresenius nurse. He asked me yesterday to call and report on our visit to the surgeon. He had to call me back so I rested while I waited! When he called back, I asked if the surgeon had called him and he had. I think ouf nurse is questioning the doctor a bit, but he is willing to give it a try. So Woody will go back in for another flush with heparin. Time will tell, if the doctor is right or not! I didn't mention that the surgeon said that if this doesn't work then he will have to go in like he did when placing the catheter and attempt to clear the catheter laproscopically. Another surgery! Certainly hoping that we can get the catheter cleared from this side! I don't think the nurse is very optomistic. Again, time will tell! It has been quite a day! I heard a few minutes ago that one of our Sunday School member's sister and brother-in-law both have Covid and one is in the hospital. Covid hasn't left us yet! So...continue to be safe...be well...be cautious!

No comments:

Post a Comment