Wednesday, July 28, 2021

It's Over!

We left the house around 5:30 this morning and got back home around 10:00...not bad for having a procedure in a hospital. We were told that he was the first surgery scheduled. I'm sure being early on the schedule helped in moving things along. We walked into the same-day surgery area and were immediately told which room to go to as soon as he told them his name. The nurse did change out the IV fluid type due to him being a renal patient. She easily got his IV going and from there we sat around till time with a visit now and then from a someone on his surgical team...the anesthesiologist and one of his surgical nurses, etc. They took him back to the surgical waiting area before 7:45...and, they told us that his surgery was scheduled for 8am. I stayed in the cubicle where we started out. I will say that the same-day surgery area was very noisy. I had trouble concentrating on my book, but did manage to read some whle I waited. When the nurse rolled him back in, she said that the doctor would come in and talk to us in a few minutes. He did just that. Of course, he really knows nothing until the biopsy results are back which will be in a week. Woody is scheduled to go to his office next Thursday...of course, during his hemodialysis time...looks like we will be rescheduling. The main concern right now is infection. He told us several things to watch for and that if they happen then to call his office right away. Woody didn't feel like he had anesthesia at all. He was wide awake and told us that he remembers everything about the procedure. He said that maybe he slept a little, but that he woke up while they were still doing the biopsies. The anesthesia is very much like they give for a colonoscopy...quick to sleep and quick to wake up...perhaps he woke up a little too soon? I estimated to Melany that we would be home around 10am and I was right on the money. He had no problem negotiating his way into the house using the walker on the ramp...no wheelchair after this surgery. He says that he feels fine and isn't in any pain. He has been good and rested today as they suggested. We had a nice visit with Melany after we got home. We sat in the family room and talked and watched some of the Olympic events on TV. I had decided last night that I was in the mood for a hamburger from Sonic...mad that suggestion to Melany and then asked Woody if he was interested. He said not a hamburger but said that Arbys sounded good to him. We rarely have fast food so this was a special treat. Melany and I went to Arbys and got Classic Roast Beef sandwiches and I, simce I gave up my hamburger, got fries to share with Melany. We all enjoyed lunch and it was easy for me to fix!!!!! I woke up way too early this morning and by the time that I thought that I could go back to sleep, it was too close to actual wake up time that I didn't dare doze as I might get into too deep a sleep. I'll bet I will sleep well tonight...my eyes are already heavy, but I want to wait to go to sleep till bedtime and not take a late nap! Be safe! Be well! Be cautious!

No comments:

Post a Comment