Thursday, November 4, 2021

100-Year-Old Arrival

Tonight's photos are my first attempt to photograph the christening gown that my grandmother made for her sister's first baby in 1921. The son of the second baby to wear this gown is who sent it to me and it arrived late this afternoon via UPS...all the way from Rochester, New York. There is a note included with it written by the second baby to wear this and it stated it had been made by her Aunt Ethel, my grandmother on my mother's side, and worn for the first time in 1921 and that it had been worn by her and her two sisters and many children and grandchildren. Thelast to wear it was the cousin's (the one who sent it to me) daughter who is now 16. It is in very good condition...there has been some mending on it...some by skilled needlewomen and some not so skilled! It is still very white...photos might not look as white as it is due to lighting. This entire dress is made my hand...all the eyelets and other embroidery on it my grandmother did. The only things that she didn't make are the lace pieces that go under the arms...I am almost questioning if they were on the dress it to start with...will be checking it out more closely! The French seams on the inside are tee tiny! It is a very simple style...but lots of handwork went into it. I'm very pleased to be in possession of it...now to keep it safe! I think that it is neat that I camr into possession of it 100 years from when she made it! I really never knew my grandmother as I was two when she died. But I have many pieces of needlework that either she or her sister, Mabel, made. They both did beautiful needlework. Mabel is my grandmother's sister, the mother of the three girls who originally wore this gown before it being passed down to future generations. We went to Fresenius Kidney center for a check in with Woody's nurse...mainly for bloodwork prior to Woody's visit in two weeks with Dr. O. His appointment was at 10am and we were home before 11 and we drove around a little to check out some of the pretty trees in town. Hope you enjoy seeing the treasure that I received today. Be safe! Be well! Be cautious!

No comments:

Post a Comment