Friday, August 12, 2022

A Bit of a Hint of Fall?

I stepped outside a little hile ago and the lessened humidity and a bit cooler temperature gave me that little hint of Fall...I'm sure that we will have plenty of hot days this summer, but it's nice to feel this break in the hot summer days. We both survived our first day on our own with dialysis. I did have the red alarm when setting up, but managed to disarm it on my own...well, I did put in a call to the tech folk, but by the time Infot to talk to a person (and, that wasn't very long)our machine had moved along. At the end of Woody's treatment I cleaned what is called a "blood detector," a little mirror inside the machine and a concave place across from the mirror. We will see if that lets us avoud the alarm in the morning. The set up alarms don't bother me as there is no time limit on getting the problem figured out. What I dread is an alarm that happens in the middle of the treatment...red alarms stop the pump that is pumping the blood in and out of Woody and through the machine...a stopped pump for any length of time can mean that clots form...then treatment has to be stopped. I was very happy when today's treatment got to the 30 minute till the end...at that point I felt that we would make it to the end! I'm trying not to dwell on red alarms during treatment, as I have been told that if I do the set up correctly and carefully that red alarms will likely NOT occur. I'm banking on that! So we have one day under our belt on our own...and, we are both alive! We will do another day of dialysis tomorrow and then have the day off on Sunday. His dialysis lasts a little over three hours. The set up takes a while, at least at this point with me being new at it. I expect that I will be able to shave a little off of it as I get into the routine of the process. It already takes me less time to draw up the heparin into the syringes. Often the thing that takes me the longest is getting the gloves on...and there are multiple changes of gloves through the process! The take down is fairly quick. I'm not exCtly sure what time I got underway setting up today, so I'm not sure exCtly how long it took. But the actual dialysis got underway around 9am and he was finished at noon. I was carrying out the medical trash bag around 1pm, but I had stopped to get Woody some lunch before completing the cleanup. I want to say that setup and tear down took about the same time when added together as did the dialysis...we were at it about 6 hours today. I still think that the time will get shorter. Woody is doing well after his surgery. He knows that he had some surgery when he moves certain ways, but not in a lot of pain. He has taken it easy today...sort of his norm! I also took it easy this afternoon...a nice nap helped. Tomorrow is another day! We will begin it all again tomorrow. We both are looking forward to a day off on Sunday! Be sFe! Be well! Be cautious!

No comments:

Post a Comment