Tuesday, August 23, 2022

Day After Surgery

Well, today has just been a day of mostly sitting around trying to recover from a day of surgery yesterday. Woody seems to be doing well. He is having some pain, but nothing that he feels the need for pain medication. He dreaded having to walk into the bathroom using his walker since he would have to put pressure on the arm operated on. We experimented and found that the wheelchair can go through the bathroom door, not easily, but it does fit through, so he can wheel in instead of walking from the couch or chair into the bathroom with the walker. His dialysis treatment went well today. I had to give him his iron "injection" which goes in through the saline line during his treatment. It isn't easy for me to draw the iron medicine from the vial into the syringe...tiny vial and not a lot of medicine so a vacuum seems to form and it is hard to pull back on the syringe plunger...at least it is hard for me. It took me a while to get it drawn up, but did manage not to make it spurt all over the table like I have in the past. Our nurse laminated the iron-giving instructions so they could be wiped off! Iron giving is over till his next labs tell whether he needs it or not. Tomorrow I have to give him his anemia subcutaneous shot...not a favorite task of mine nor does he care for it too much. I did a good job the first time and didn't hurt him much, but then last time I didn't do as well! Perhaps the first was just beginner's luck! I'll try not to hurt him tomorrow, but it is another one of those "time will tell" moments! I found out that the reason our tap water had to be tested again is because FedEx lost the first sample taken and sent. I was just glad that it wasn't a lab that they lost...not fond of doing those either and don't want to have to do any extras because they get lost in shipping! That task was done very quickly by the nice young man who had done the first one...in and out. I decided that I wanted macaroni amd cheese so I made some while I talked to Connie on speaker phone...made the task go by more quickly! The only part of the task that is left is the mess...I will attack that as soon as I go back downstairs. I had to take a nap after I got through with fixing and eating my lunch, which was eaten quite late...as a matter of fact lunch was really "lupper." I got Woody's supper after I came downstairs from my snooze. Then I went outside and watered. Pretty humid outside which made it feel quite uncomfortable to me. I ended up letting the mist from the hose get on my arms to help me cool off a little. Woody said that he didn't sleep very well last night...hoping that he sleeps better tonight. He has pretty much stayed in the recliner as it takes more effort to get up off the couch...couch sits pretty low. So far he seems to be adapting to being careful with his arm. I don't know how many of these restrictions will be lifted once it heals. Tomorrow the bandages come off the two surgical cuts. Friday he will get the stitches out from his PD catheter removal. It will be two weeks on Thursday since he had that surgery. Speaking of getting stitches out, I need to remember to call for an appointment in two weeks to see yesterday's surgeon. I liked the way the post surgery nurse for his PD cath removal made an appointment for us. I'm not fond of breaking through red tape to make appointments. Most of the time these days you don't get a real person and automated calls are not my favorite. I guess I will find out what kind of call this will be once I make it! I didn't think about calling today except for when it was way too early to call. I'll try to remember at an appropriate time tomorrow. Well, dishes are calling! Be safe! Be well! Be cautious!

No comments:

Post a Comment