Wednesday, August 17, 2022

Cooler Wednesday

Another day that gives a promise of Fall. The high was right around 80°...pretty nice for a mid-August day! We'll take any days like this that we can get. We are through another dialysis day...and once again we both survived! Today I can actually say that we had no reason to call for tech support. I forgot to tell about yesterday's experience (guess I was too focused on my new chair!). I was at the point of changing the dressing on Woody's access site and all of a sudden there was an alarm. I couldn't figure out where the alarm was coming from. At this point we are still in setup so no stress in getting it taken care of...except that it slows down the set up! Woody thought it was coming from the cycler...but there weren't any red lights in the display. Finally I located the sound...it was from a little "box" that sits on the side of the machine. It is the water leak detector. And the place was totally dry and there were no stop buttons to push on it to shut off the alarm. I decided that I would immediately call the tech number. They are so helpful and so far I haven't stumped them...very knowledgable in what they do! His first statement, after I told him where the alarm was coming from, was "Let's take out the battery." Once I figured out how to open the battery compartment, I did just that and it got much quieter. He asked if I had another 9-volt battery and we did. So I changed the battery...alarm started again. Then he had me remove the battery and clean off a couple of places with a damp piece of gauze and then dry with a dry gauze and put the new battery back in...it still alarmed. At that point, he said he would send me another one. I asked if I could go on with the treatment without this water leak detector. He told me to fold up a paper towel and draw lines on it with a dark magic marker and we would have a visual alarm...that if the paper towel got wet the magic marker marks would become rainbows. Interesting solution! We have done two treatments without the detector. When I went outside to get the mail this afternoon, there was a UPS delivery with the replacement on the front porch...water leak detector is already back in place on the machine. I am supposed to get directions on returning the one that isn't working so they can check out why it failed. At this point, I haven't received my instructions for returning, A pick up is supposed to be arranged. I will just wait...I have it in the packaging that the new one came in. Isn't it amazing how they take care of every little detail...and, how quickly issues are resolved! I'm impressed at this point. And, the techs are so pleasant to deal with. Woody and I both took it easy today. I will say that I have discovered that my new chair is good for sleeping and napping...slept well last night and had a very good nap this afternoon. Woody rested on the couch this afternoon. Guess not a lot was accomplished today except for dialysis and a lot of resting! Tomorrow is a day off from dialysis. Woody has an appointment in the morning at the Fresenius Kidney center with his hemodialysis team and Dr. O. I have a container of sharps to turn in to the center. Can you imagine that in these few weeks we have been at home, we have already filled up a container with syringes!?! Obviously, we go through a lot of syringes everyday. I never thought that I would be making that statement! I'm wondering when we will hear from the hospital about Monday's surgery...guess we don't have to hear as we have the time to arrive...pretty early in the morning! Hopefully that means we won't be there the whole day! But time will tell...on Monday! It will be just another day...another procedure! Be safe! Be well! Be cautious!

No comments:

Post a Comment