Friday, August 19, 2022

We're in the Loop

I guess one could say we are in the medical loop. Woody's dialysis went well, once again. I'm banking on the statement that "if one does a good job with the set up then the treatment will go well." I am very careful to do all the steps in the set up and attempt to do them well each time. And, our nurses have put together a very good notebook of step by step directions. And, they suggested that even when familiar with the steps that I still refer to the directions all through the setup. They claim that they still refer to them? So the first medical loop today was doing dialysis routine. We had lunch. Then we got an unexpected delivery by FedEx. It turned out to be renal vitamins that Woody's nutritionist had ordered for him, but hadn't told us about. So guess we were sort of out of the loop for that. I texted our nurse and she told us what they were and that he should start taking them...a renal D-3 vitamin. I heard on TV today that iPad and iPhone users needed to do the latest update for security reasons. So I did them on my iPad and iPhone and then checked with the nurse to see if I should do the update on the hemodialysis iPad. I was told to go ahead so did that update too. My next dialysis duty was to make the dialysate batch for the next two days. I was just getting that task started when the phone rang and it was the hospital telling Woody what time to be at the hospital on Monday...time we had been originally told had changed and now we have to be there 1-1/2 hours later than originally told...so won't have to leave at dark thirty! I got my dialysate batch going and it's still going...takes around six hours to make...a total of 50 liters of water and dialysate concentrate...as each treatment uses 25 liters and it has to heat up to body temperature. During today's dialysis 3 hours, I did get quite a bit accomplished...I made a big pot of soup, Spicy Vegetable Beef. One of our soup recipes that sounded good to Woody. We both had that for lunch. I will admit that it is still a little too warm for me to really enjoy soup...it did taste good...Woody enjoyed it...maybe he felt a bit warmer than usual after he finished his bowl. I also washed and dried a load of clothes and read a couple of chapters in my new book. That's what fit into that three hour period of dialysis today. After I got the batch going, I worked on cleaning up the mess that I had made in the kitchen. At that point I was ready to go upstairs and rest in my comfy recliner. I read and dozed a little until the doorbell rang. I headed down to find the UPS delivery guy at my door asking if I had a package for him to pick up. I did...just didn't know what I was supposed to do or when the pick up would happen. The pick up was for the defective water leak detector. I had it all in bubblewrap and in the box that the other one came in...but hadn't taped it as I didn't know if there would be instructions to put in thr box. Well, the UPS guy said he would tape it and he had the label and he gave me a tracking number to keep. So we are on the fast track for getting packages delivered, picked up, etc., etc! By the way the water leak detector worked fine today and only alarmed when I tested it during setup. So hopefully this one will behave itself...but I do know to take the battery out if it won't stop alarming! Learn something new just about every day! Some of this learning I could do without! Woody seems to continue to feel much better. I'm sure that he will feel even better if we can get his hemoglobin built back up! Anemia is something that dialysis patients deal with. Also some vitamins and meds are washed out with dialysis. I guess we need to ask when to take this renal vitamin. Wonder what kind of a medical loop we will be in tomorrow! Be safe! Be well! Be cautious!

No comments:

Post a Comment