Sunday, December 9, 2012

Balmy December Sunday

We had a very mild day once again. Those balmy temperatures are supposed to be a thing of the past in a day or two. There's a front on its way. We are enjoying the warm temps while we can. Woody got up and walked seven miles early this morning. We went to the early service at church and then went to our respective Sunday School classes...he to teach and me to be taught! Instead of going straight home after church we headed out to attempt to find the addresses that Woody had been unable to find yesterday. He used some further directions that he had gotten both on the internet and also from a couple of people at church. We did manage to find the two houses and also found people at home. He left a letter with our phone number at another home and he has received a call back from her. So his visiting responsibilities are about over for our White Christmas food boxes. We came home and had a bite to eat and then I rested for a bit and then got started on what I am making for tomorrow's lunch. We are having friends over for lunch. Since they read the blog, I won't spoil their surprise as to what we are having by telling tonight...will report tomorrow. All I can say is that this is one of those recipes that makes me so hungry for it when I am making it...looking forward to getting to eat it tomorrow! Woody has just gotten home from the evening service at church. I was taking a rest before I attempt to get presents wrapped for AZ. They need to get in the mail. I did finalize my decisions about this year's Pickle Present. It is hard since our grandchildren range from 19 down to almost one. The older ones know that the present is now pretty much for the younger kids...especially since said younger kids live right next door, but I still try to find something that will interest the older two...at least enough to help the younger ones with the gifts that will be found in the gift bag. These gifts stay at Grammy and Goosey's...they find their way into the toy closet or the game closet or the school room. I like to choose at least one thing that will add to our school activities...but still a fun thing...one year it was a geography game and others I have added shape puzzles for different age levels...we now have three of those ranging from easy for the younger children to pretty hard even for the older (well, probably not hard for the 15 and 19 year old...but the six ranging from 1 to almost 11). It is a fun tradition that I started when Erin and Alex were quite small...I think maybe that I started the year before Alex was born...I know that the first pickle present was the Fisher Price Pirate Ship...that has provided hours of fun for all of them...well, not Isaac (yet!). It is fun when they are playing with something to tell them that it was a pickle present. I wonder who will find the pickle this year! That person opens the pickle present and then all dive in to check out and play with what the gifts are for that year. The pickle hunt starts almost the moment that Melany, Wade, Erin and Alex arrive. Nathan and Kathy's crew will be watching for them and be here just about instantly when they pull up on Christmas Eve morning. Then the fun begins! Tonight's ornament was given to me years and years ago by Melany and Nathan. This is a Hallmark ornament...I always loved the little Hallmark ornaments and these were ones that a child could afford to purchase as a gift...not many of those among present day Hallmark ornaments. 'Tis the season!

No comments:

Post a Comment