Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Comedy of Errors!

Hmmm "Comedy of Errors" or "A Tangled Web"...not exactly sure what tonight's blog title should be. "Tangled Web" goes with tonight's photo and I think that you may be chuckling at me before you finish reading this blog...so will go with "Comedy of Errors!" This morning started out for me in the sewing room. Last night I got the collar put on Joy's birthday gift and hemmed it...so that just left the buttonholes. And, no way was I going to attack buttonholes at a late hour. Now buttonholes used to put fear and trembling in me, but since I have had computerized machines they are a breeze...well...let's put it this way: My original computerized machine made buttonholes very easily...most of the time...both machines do much better on the practice piece than on the actual garment. Sometimes I actually go back to the older machine, that I am teaching the children how to sew on, to make my buttonholes. But one of the last times that my current machine had it's "spa treatment" aka checkup and cleaning, they worked on the buttonholes and found that there was a sensor that wasn't working correctly. And, since that time I haven't had much trouble with buttonholes, but I also haven't made all that many buttonholes lately. Today I told myself to take a deep breath and just go make them. I chose the buttonhole that I wanted to use. Got fabric and interfacing to mimic the actual garment. Made a beautiful buttonhole...so deep sigh of relief and I put the actual garment under the buttonhole foot and went to work. I have read to start at the bottom buttonhole as by the time you get to the top you will have wonderful buttonholes. So I started at the bottom...and, everything came to a screeching halt after the machine had put in part of the buttonhole...frog stitch time..."rip-it, rip-it!" So got that one picked out. Try, try again! I finally got that one stitched...not perfect...but good enough! Went on to the next one...stopped shortly after it started...so I just had a "nice" thick knot to pick out. Got that picked out. Try, try again! After that one things went fairly well and I managed to get six buttonholes made. But it took a good part of the morning...which it shouldn't have! Oh, well. By that time Woody was working away in the kitchen making his quinua burgers and smoking up the kitchen! After lunch, it was time for me to go get my hair cut. After my haircut I went shopping...something that I rarely do these days. I needed some things at WalMart and also needed to make a stop at JoAnn's. Good part of JoAnn's stop was that I found Simplicity patterns on sale for 99 cents. I stayed for quite a while looking through the pattern book choosing the ones that I wanted to get. I hadn't had a 99 cent pattern spree for quite a while. When I got home, Woody was reading on the front porch...nice day for sitting outside. He has spent quite a bit of time in the yard again...one of the things he is doing is trying to keep our plants watered. We are in the midst of a drought...so plants are droopy. When I got out of the car I noticed the spider web that is tonight's photo. Woody headed off to walk to the prayer room around five. I decided that I would do a little cleaning since that is on my "to-do list." Tomorrow is garbage day and Woody had emptied the wastebaskets in the house. He had left the bag to go in the kitchen wastebakset for me to put in. It is hard for him to do with just the "good" use of one hand. He has a frozen shoulder due to having his arm in a sling too long after he broke it in his bicycle accident. So he leaves two-handed jobs for me...and putting the trash bag in takes two hands. Well, I decided that would be the cleaning job for the evening. I had been "meaning to" vacuum out crumbs that manage to not get into the trash bag so I got the vacuum out and did that. Then I decided that it would be a good idea to rinse it out with a little hot water and Lysol cleaner. I dumped some Lysol in and was putting in some hot water, when all of a sudden water was spewing all over the floor...well, leaking out onto the rug that I have on the floor in front of the sink...that rug definitely saved me some grief as it absorbed the water and Lysol and has a rubber backing so it didn't even get the floor wet. I thought that I had over-sprayed when I was filling it...but then remembered...A while back I had asked Woody to drill a hole on two sides of the wastebasket as I had read that the garbage bags go down into it better when that is done...and it has helped...but it will no longer hold water...as I found out! I quickly put it up into the sink to let it finish draining and I stretched to be able to scrub inside of it. Well, I have a clean kitchen wastebasket. Ok...now on to the kitchen rug. I decided that I would wash it, but because it was wet, I couldn't vacuum it before putting it in the washing machine...so outdoors I went...it was dark by now...and I shook it...well, all that Lysol water came back on me!!! I'm glad that I wear glasses as they kept me from getting it in my eyes. I guess I have been disenfected! I had started to vacuum the kitchen floor...using the brush tool under the cabinets to pick up any crumbs and also any friendly spiders and their webs. I was going to mop the floor, but have decided that isn't a good idea tonight as there is no telling what will happen! I'm almost afraid to try to sew on the last four buttons on Joy's present! Woody is home from the prayer room at church and has settled into his chair. I will go settle into mine after I get the kitchen rug and towels into the dryer and start the washer to wash the fabric that I bought today. Then maybe I will dare to pick up a needle and thread and attach these last buttons! (I'm sorry that when writing my blog that when it is long I can't break it up into paragraphs...I have no idea, but the way things are with Google, Blogspot, and my computer...paragraphs are a thing of the past! Thankfully most of the time my blogs aren't this long!) I hope that you have gotten a chuckle over my cleaning comedy of errors...probably one reason that it is really easy for me to put cleaning on the back burner!

No comments:

Post a Comment