Friday, February 10, 2017

Is Ironing Ever Fun?

I will admit that I did some fun ironing today...I always love to press antique linens like what is pictured in tonight's photo. This exquisiste white work was done either by my grandmother or her sister. I have many needlework pieces that one of the other of them stitched. Today I decided that it was time to dust the top of my dresser which has this runner on it...boy did the dresser need to be dusted and boy did this piece of linen need to be laundered...so a little hand laundering was on my plate today. After I got it rinsed out, I rolled it in a towel and then ironed it upside down on another towel. I love turning the piece over once I have finished ironing it...love how the raised stitches just pop out at you when you peel it off the towel you press it on. I also did another large doily today too...though, it wasn't the one that I thought it was. The other one goes on the dining room table and it is still quite a while till I will see the top of the dining room table. I did clear off a lot of the angels today and got them boxed up and that big box brought upstairs. All that I wrapped and boxed up, I was expecting to see the dining room table a lot emptier...but alas, it is still quite covered. I guess I need to rummage around and find the box that the rest of the angels and other Christmas items go in. Along with undecorating and cleaning off my dresser, I also went through a lot of paper work from the church library and put a lot of it into the recycle bag. That emptied out a box that I was wanting to get rid of. I am slowly chipping away at doing a thorough cleaning in our bedroom. I'm afraid that it will be like the Golden Gate Bridge...that once I get it all done it will be time to start on the tasks that I did at the beginning of this cleaning job! I have also done several loads of laundry and folded/hung them and got them put away. At least I have been able to keep at it today even though I flitted from job to another...at least I got something done...good to be able to accomplish something finally after more than a month long hiatus from doing much around the house. Woody kept up with things that just had to be done...but now the jobs that don't need to be done all the time are starting to really need to be done! Woody continues to work behind me when I am cooking and even does the clean up when he cooks. He has done quite a bit in the kitchen today. He also worked a lot out in the yard. He worked really hard on the front garden that we share with the neighbors (Nathan and Kathy). Lots of leaves to remove from it! He ran a couple of errands late in the afternoon. And, then took his four-mile walk just prior to supper. We have had supper and are now settling in for the evening...another quiet one in our household of reading, TV watching, crossword puzzles, and maybe even a little needlework for me. I've gotten in the mood to do some while I have been cleaning since I moved them from one place to another today. Plus seeing and touching the beautiful work of my grandmother's or great aunt's also made me want to get back to stitching. I have two samplers started and I think that I might just pick up one of them and put a few stitches in since I haven't worked on either of them in a while.

1 comment: