Saturday, November 30, 2019

Adios, November!


Can you believe that this is the last day of November?  I think that I could just about sit here, close my eyes, and when I open them it would be Christmas.  We seem to be traveling at warp speed!  I do wish that "things" would slow down.

Tonight's photo shows an ornament that I acquired sometime between last Christmas and now.  Friends and I went off galavanting and one of our stops was at an antique store—the kind that have many "booths" in them each of which are run by different individuals.  I was looking at things in one and found this ornament on a table.  My first thought was how much it looked like our church—and, it "said" First Baptist Church" on it...but in our area many towns have a church named First Baptist.  The surprising thing about it after I looked at it closer was that it even had a fountain in front of it—our church has a fountain across the street in a park that is part of our church campus.  Finally I looked at the back and it is our church.  We have no idea when it was made or for what purpose...didn't know that ornaments had been made of our church...but this one is #30 of 100.  Now I have our current church on our tree and also an ornament of the church I went to prior to Woody and me getting married.  Our tree is really a memory tree...when I walk around it, floods of fond memories sweep over me as I think about an event, a trip, a relative, a friend, etc.

Today has been a little-of-this-and-a-little-of-that kind of day.  I decided that I needed to get a handle on the leftovers—some needed to be shared with "the neighbors" (Nathan and Kathy and family) as they were things that Woody can't eat and there was no way that I could eat them by myself in a timely manner.  For one thing, I am not overly fond of pecan pie...I did eat a piece and it really was quite good, but I knew that they would enjoy it more than I.  So I sent a whole pie and a piece or so of the other pecan.  Now I do love pumpkin pie (that has been my breakfast since Thanksgiving), but, again, I really couldn't eat what was left of a 10" pumpkin pie.  I cut myself a generous piece and sent the rest to them along with Cool Whip.  I know that sending two kinds will please more than just sending one kind!  They have pecan pie lovers over there and also pumpkin pie lovers!  The other dish that I sent over was most of the leftover sweet potatoes.  Again, they are something that Woody can't eat and there were just too much left for just me.  I kept out a couple of helpings.  That was a good one to give them as the dish that the sweet potatoes are in is their dish...so returned something in the dish I borrowed!  I then got into the leftovers that Woody can eat and squirreled away some turkey and green beans for him to have for Christmas dinner at Melany and Wade's.  I told Melany that I would bring a few things that her daddy could eat so they could just go on and fix what they want and not worry whether he can eat it or not.  I will probably take something for that meal and make sure that Woodyncan eat it.  Most of the leftovers got moved to smaller containers and I think I once again have a handle on what is in my fridge.  I attempted to put all of "Woody's food" together in one place so it is easier for him to grab what he wants!

I will be making Turkey and Rice Soup with the broth that I made with the turkey carcus, but I need a bit more space in the fridge for a big pot of soup.  One of my challenges of the day was to make a decent tasting gravy without pan drippings.  The gravy is about gone that I made with the two turkeys.  Right now one of the things that tastes really good to Woody is a hot turkey sandwich...and, he is even liking just gravy on bread.  So today I attempted to make a gravy that was a decent color and had a good flavor.  I was pretty successful.  I had some on mashed potatoes for lunch and it really tasted quite good.  Now to sit and write down how I did it so I can do it again sometime.

Woody bought fresh cauliflower yesterday so today he cut it used into florets and we steamed them and then added an olive oil, vinegar and garlic "sauce" over them to make one of his favorites: Italian-Style Cauliflower.  So he has a little break from all the Thanksgiving tastes.  At the moment he has more choices than usual when he looks in the fridge!

By the time I could sit down and sew today, a storm was rolling in.  We have had several periods of rain today.  It is raining rather hard at the moment. Thunder is rumbling off in the distance.  I think that it is time for me to go sit down in my recliner and read for a while.

Woody went to the library this morning so he has a new James Patterrson book to read.  I will want to read it when he is finished so I need to get reading on a public library book that is due in a little more than a week.  I've also got several e-books waiting for me on my iPad.  I had requested them some time back and they all decided to be available at about the same time...one of those times that I wish that I could read more than one book at a time!  But since 'Tis the season" there just isn't as much time for me to read currently!

No comments:

Post a Comment