Wednesday, November 20, 2019

'Tis the Season!


Saying "'Tis the season" is a tradition that started between me and my Arizona family many, many years ago.  It started back in the days when long distance calling made your phone bill higher.  We didn't call all that often (every other week) and we would trade off...my parents would call and then two weeks later I would call them.  It got more frequent as the years went by...but usually no more than once a week.  Our distance meant that we didn't usually spend Christmas together so during the Christmas season we would make "'Tis the season" calls:  when one of us felt like calling we would just call spur of the moment and start out the call with: 'Tis the season!"  Those were the days when phone calls were less after a certain hour...funny how things have changed over the years.  With cell phones, we just pick up the phone and call whenever we please!  BUT my sister and I still say "'Tis the season" when we call each other at this time of the year.  And, Melany and I do it, too.

My morning started out with a "tea party" with two of my friends.  I invited them over for tea and scones.  I made pumpkin scones with spiced glaze, a new recipe,—thanksgiving flavors surrounded by Christmas!  When they were leaving, we wished each other Merry Thanksgiving!

Woody took his friend to the doctor this morning and then stayed in most of the rest of the day taking in part of the impeachment hearings.  He has also read, did his daily crossword puzzles, and watched a bit lighter TV viewing also.

This evening we have gone over our Thanksgiving menu tryouts hug to get everything on the list that we will need and not have to run back for one ingredient that I skipped over accidentally.  I will look closer at the list and the recipes tomorrow.  Since he has been getting most of the nonperishable items over the last couple of weeks, the list isn't tremendously long. I'm still wrapping my head around having 17 to feed/seat!  We are used to 15, but adding two more changes things up a bit!  I think that I have seating figured out...maybe!  I "think" we have enough chairs...now...if we just have enough food and I can make as many pies as I am planning to make—five...but 4 at least...two pumpkin, one or two pecan, and one apple cranberry (the only one Woody can eat so that is being added to the usual pumpkin and pecan pies that I always make at Thanksgiving.  'Tis the season...to be cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment