Tuesday, November 26, 2019

Sitting Down to Check My List and the Mail

There haven't been too many times to sit down today.  I had quite a few things to mark off my list today!  I started out making our traditional gelatin salad called Autumn Salad.  I got that in the refrigerator and pulled out one of the turkeys...we have two small ones this year.  I will cook the other  one Thursday morning.  I have carved the turkey and have the meat in the fridge with broth poured over it to keep it moist for Turkey day.  One of Cheryl's (my sister) friends  about cooking the turkey ahead and pouring chicken or turkey broth over it to keep it moist.  So I'm trying it for the first time.  After getting the turkey carved and getting rid of the carcus (tomorrow is garbage day so good day to dispose of things like that).  I will have the other turkey to make soup with.  I made gravy.  I have made our green beans, they need to have the flavors blend through them.  Woody helped me with the green beans he trimmed and cut them up and it was quite a large quantity.  The green beans are something that Woody eat.  I have cleaned the kitchen multiple times!  The dishwasher is running as I type this and the dishes that didn't fit in are drying at the edge of the sink.  I think that I am through making kitchen messes for today!  I have marked off just about everything that was to be done on the days prior to Thursday—the "do-ahead" tasks.  There are "only" two things left to do cooking-wise tomorrow...BUT one of those things is to make FIVE pies.  The other is to make the topping mixture for our sweet potato casserole.  I hope that putting together the pie dough last night helps in the pie tasks!  I'll be making two pumpkin, two pecan, and one Apple-Cranberry.  The apple pie is the only one that Woody can eat.  That is an addition to our traditional Thanksgiving pies...guess a new tradition in the making—literally!

I'm glad that I don't have a lot of cleaning that I need to do prior to the family gathering on Thursday...very thankful that so much cleaning goes on when I am decorating.  I will just have to do a lick and a promise in most places.  Hopefully I will have a little time to get to that mostly done tomorrow as Thursday morning will be taken up with cooking the last minute items.  I am enjoying working in my new kitchen this first Thanksgiving having it.  Last year the week after Thanksgiving was the first meeting I had with the contractor for the remodel job...so a year ago it was just a figment of my imagination.

Last year we didn't have a Thanksgiving dinner here.  Nathan and Kathy and family weren't in town and Melany and Wade and family had the flu.  So I took the holiday off from cooking...just made a cardimum cranberry cake...something that Woody could have...but definitely not a favorite of mine...and, I haven't made it since.

Woody and Elijah loaded up the Taurus today with aluminum cans and took them to the "can man" to turn them in for recycling.  The money that they got they give to the Lottie Moon Christmas Offering for International Missions.  Woody attempted to go to the Prayer Room at church late this afternoon, but the key pad code didn't work for him so he came back home again.  He also stopped and picked up a prescription for me at some point today.

Now we ar settled in for the evening.  Hopefully it will be quiet.  I'm ready to sit and read...hope that my eyes stay open!  'Tis the season!

No comments:

Post a Comment