Saturday, November 2, 2019

It's Begun!



This morning while Woody was at the library, I headed into "his" room (the family room) and vacuumed the hearth well.  Found several spider webs!  Imagine that!  Then I decided that I would do a little more "insulating" before I put down Mr. Snowman.  I got a large piece of quilt batting and placed it on the hearth for snow...but actually to block more of the cold air that filters through the fire place door vents and cracks.  Then I put down Mr. Snowman and some of his friends.  I knew that I wanted the red tin tree that Mother gave me her last Christmas (I have three different sizes and colors, but wanted the red tin one in the kitchen since it is what I consider "barn red.").  I knew that these trees are at the front of the Christmas closet so could put my hands on them and get the red one for the kitchen.  I had been picturing it in the kitchen since I started thinking about Christmae decorating.

Do you notice that in both pictures that there is something that isn't Christmas?  Fall is still in both of them.  In the kitchen you will note the large pumpkin.  The Hasty's stopped by this afternoon and 
gifted us with the pumpkin.  They used it on their front porch and we're through with it and knew that we cook pumpkins so offered it to us...and I couldn't pass up their offer.  Woody says that he will peel, degut, and cut it up tomorrow after church.  I will then cook it and purée it with the food 
processor. I think that Woody thinks that his job is messier than the cooking part!  But both are pretty messy.  Looks like we will have fresh pumpkin for our Thanksgiving pies.  I will freeze the pumpkin in batches the right size for pies...looks like there are quite a few pies in our future.  Woody also makes pumpkin pudding that he enjoys taking over to the neighbors (Nathan, Kathy and family).  The children love it...especially if he includes some Cool Whip!  In the family room picture, there is still a Halloween card from my sister on the mantel.  So there is still a little Fall around...for a bit anyway!  The dining room table is full of all the pumpkins...have to get those put away next.

I am tired!  It has been a busy cooking, cleaning, decorating day.  I stewed a chicken, deboned the chicken, made chicken stock, made sweet red pepper sauce, and made a meatloaf.  I came upstairs to sit for a while and rest and while resting write the blog.  I have cleaned up the kitchen several times and it needs to be done again.  I have the dishes stacked waiting for me to unload the dishwasher from the load I ran earlier in the afternoon.  I still have to finalize tomorrow's Sunday School lesson. 

Woody went to the library this morning.  He also made a stop at the hospital to visit with a church member.  Saturday is Woody's day, as a member of the deacon visitation committee to visit any church members who are in the local hospital.  

Tonight we turn our clocks back.  I have already done our clocks, so now I am very confused as to what time it really is!  Do I go by today's time or tomorrow's?!?   I had changed them before 6pm today's time and it was already dark by 5pm tomorrow's time!  But it will be light earlier in the morning at 6:30 whereas today it was still dark!  An even trade-off?  Woody's melanoma doctor said that he would be glad for the time change as he doesn't like arriving for work in the morning when it is still dark.  Everyone has their feelings about the time change.  I know that many of my friends don't like this time change because they don't like it to get dark so early.  Of course my reason to be happy about this time change is that I move an hour closer to my sister and Arizona family members.  One hour difference is so much easier to manage than two when trying to make telephone calls.  I favor this time change...but they no longer give us a full six months of this one which I don't think is fair!!i guess I will enjoy it for the time we have. In a few more hours I will have moved an hour closer to my sister!  


No comments:

Post a Comment