Thursday, January 13, 2011

Snow Bound--Day 4!

This morning's view from our upstairs bedroom window...four days after our seven inch (officially) snowfall. That road is pretty icy...reason that once again no school for Tullahoma or surrounding school systems. The sun did come out today so that helped with the melting of snow and ice on the streets...time will tell if there will be school tomorrow (I haven't checked since it doesn't affect me any more!). We still haven't ventured out in the car since Sunday morning...our car is still pretty covered with snow...though Woody did start to clear it off yesterday...the driver can see out the windshield now!

Woody has pretty much taken it easy today. He did go over to Nathan and Kathy's late this afternoon to run water through the pipes at various sinks and toilets and then leave some faucets dripping slowly. Our temps are supposed to get into the single digits tonight...pipe freezing temps! Woody has read a good part of the day, watched a bit of TV, and watched a DVD movie from the public library. He has done some cleaning up after me in the kitchen and he peeled carrots for the soup.

I, of course, planned to continue our undecorating...which I did do some...but not as much as I planned as I got interrupted by the need to make another pot of soup. The one that I made over the weekend is dwindling and the vegetables that were bought for this other soup were getting to the point of needing to be used! So I spent most of the afternoon making Ham and Barley Soup...lots of vegetable cutting up, taking ham off the bone, etc. Another soup that we don't make all that often and I know why...my aching back! Woody bought enough to double it...for a while I thought that I was going to have to go next door and borrow one of the huge pots that they use when doing once-a-month cooking for their family of seven...but in the end my largest stock pot was big enough. This soup is unusual in that it has turnips in it...and you would never know that they are in it unless someone told you! They just seem like a square of potato...only sweeter and softer. I'm glad that we like this soup as it "should" last a while! We still have some of our Italian meatball soup...so we are in good stead for a while as far as eating goes. And, tomorrow I can concentrate, once again, on undecorating without having to think about cooking!

For some reason I have thought that it was Friday all day today...wonder what day I will think tomorrow is! I can tell you that this is our 750th blog posting in two years and a few days (I posted my first blog on January 7, 2009.). Once again, I will say..."That's a LOT of words!" More power to those of you who have read just about all those words!

No comments:

Post a Comment